. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Pneumatic turrets using a hirth or curvic coupling are far sturdier, but as you're aware, they are far more complex (and good hirth/curvic couplings are not cheap!).
    They have the benefit that the tool disc gets clamped firmly in place with lots of mating surfaces, whereas on a ratchet and pawl setup, not only do you have flex due to the shaft needing to be able to rotate, you're relying on a single point of contact to resist cutting forces.

And as already mentioned, parting is where you're most likely to notice any play/flex on a lathe.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

2. Hello,
    our company just released cheap but precise automatic turret tool head for 8 tools. May be great for hobby users!

More informations here: https://www.altaros.cz/en/content/53...ic-turret-head

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaros View Post
    Hello,
    our company just released cheap but precise automatic turret tool head for 8 tools. May be great for hobby users!

More informations here: https://www.altaros.cz/en/content/53...ic-turret-head
    Had a quick look on my phone earlier, looks decent and well documented.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Cheers, that looks really nice but I only have 50mm table to CL so that wouldn't fit.

We are also 90% finished on the one we are building. All steel and only needs a nema 17 stepper to turn it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190813-WA0006.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	26421

Name:	IMG-20190906-WA0004.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	26420

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Cheers, that looks really nice but I only have 50mm table to CL so that wouldn't fit.

We are also 90% finished on the one we are building. All steel and only needs a nema 17 stepper to turn it.

Name:	IMG-20190813-WA0006.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	26421

Name:	IMG-20190906-WA0004.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	26420

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yo6VCW2a8KGGR9Tm7

This is the first test of the ATC to check movement and speed. Index's perfectly and can move in both directions to find the closest tool
    Last edited by Ross77; 12-09-2019 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Corrected bad link

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...iNh3SS40o_NMgJ

This is the first test of the ATC to check movement and speed. Index's perfectly and can move in both directions to find the closest tool
    Ross This link shows error 404 but the one you sent me was fine.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Hi Ross, your toolchanger looks really sturdy. Did you make this to an existing design or is it all new? I would love to make one for my Denford Easiturn as I'm getting fed up changing tools every few minutes!

Best Regards

David

Hi David, Thanks, it is rock solid and really happy with it.

Yes it was all designed and built from scratch. It was joint project between me and friend and was a lot of work to get it finished. he had the denford one with the ratchet and pawl design but it wasn't ridged enough so we set about a more industrial option using the Hurth coupling. Most of the DIY ones we looked at had the problem of making the shaft really tight when the Bellville's were compressed to open it and needed a massive stepper to then rotate the tool plate.

Ours works differently and when the Bellville's are compressed the shaft is free to turn by hand and allowed a small nema 17 stepper to spin the plate.

There was talk of doing a small production run of them so I'm not sure if I could post up the plans yet.

No worries - I've actually been looking at the same idea for some time but shelved the idea as I couldn't be bothered making the hirth couplings as they can be an arse ache.
    My intention was to just use a pneumatic clamp cylinder with a single belleville to aid in the release. Not overly complicated really.
    Let me know if you decide to make more as I'd certainly be interested

David

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information