. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Im looking for the best option for an ATC from my CNC lathe, its basically a Myford ml10 with just the tee slot table.

Struggling to find any for sale and seen a few plans with two different designs for the holding mech. Some use a ratchet and pawl rotating in one direction and others have a toothed ring and have to push the plate forward to rotate to the next position.

Which option is best?

Lastly any plans for a suitable one? Cheers

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    There are some on GrabCAD worth looking at.

Effectively you have 4 options.

Manual stuff like Multigrip / Dickson holders.
    Gang Tooling, might be worth a look pending what type of stuff you turn.
    Turret - rachet / pawl
    Turret - pnuematic (or similar) locator function

There is a guy on ebay making very decent looking turrets - sells them for around £500 ish. The only reason I havent bought is that they do max 10mm tools and Id like larger for my lathe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diy-cnc-l...wAAOSwK~RZ-JvI

Not seen him list them like this (in kit form) before.

Spoken to him extensively on whatsup, does this for day job too, seems to know his stuff, worth a look. He also has a gang tool setup for sale but might be too big for a Myford.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    There is a guy on ebay making very decent looking turrets - sells them for around £500 ish. The only reason I havent bought is that they do max 10mm tools and Id like larger for my lathe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diy-cnc-l...wAAOSwK~RZ-JvI

Not seen him list them like this (in kit form) before.

Spoken to him extensively on whatsup, does this for day job too, seems to know his stuff, worth a look. He also has a gang tool setup for sale but might be too big for a Myford.

The turning tool holders look easy to make in a larger size?
    Last edited by magicniner; 01-11-2017 at 02:00 PM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    The turning tool holders look easy to make in a larger size?
    Perhaps. Ive not seen the kit broken down like this before. It might be where the 'centreline' is effectively which is more challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Perhaps. Ive not seen the kit broken down like this before. It might be where the 'centreline' is effectively which is more challenging.
    Given that they mount in the same holes as drilling and boring tool mounting holes then the centre line is the mounting hole centre line, no challenge! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Given that they mount in the same holes as drilling and boring tool mounting holes then the centre line is the mounting hole centre line, no challenge! ;-)
    True. Spoken to him, he will likely be able to mod these to go to 12mm. I can then probably make my own later if I want to go to 16 or 20mm tooling.

Bonus! :D

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    I did see that one but put off by the small tool capacity. May have to message him if it can hold 12mm

I'm currently using 16mm tooling with a large QCTP and getting a nice Finnish so don't want to go down to much in case the finish quality is reduced.

would also need to buy all new tooling

He can mod to 12mm. Anything larger needs new holders done.

Just messaged him so find out soon enough.

looking at the pictures again it does only have 1 pawl on the ratchet so that might limit the force it can take

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information