. .
    Hi all, I'm a fairly experienced woodworker but brand new to cnc machining. I had hoped I would buy a machine plug in my pc and be churning out woden signs and dog tags etc. Having done a little research I am now terrified of making a mistake and either spending too little and buying rubbish or spending too much on a machine more advanced that my needs require. What I would like to engrave or carve is wooden signs and acrylic/metal labels probably no bigger than 600x400 and if possible it should be a desktop machine. I hope someone can point me in the right direction and give me some good advice.

Is there anyone in Scotland using a cnc similar to what I've described who would consider letting me have a look at their setup. I think I need some hands on advice.

Hi Jiroma,
    I am also new by taking the leap back in November but have stumbled at the first hurdle, I brought a cnc machine before discovering this site so your already made the first step safely by getting expert advice via here (not me but a lot of others on here)
    I can only advise caution I brought what seemed to be a good deal the CNC 6040 machine (60cm by 40cm table size) from Germany for £880.
    The CNC 6040, 3040 range are made in China and have a reputation for shoddy software or electrical parts, I found this out after I brought mine.
    My machine has had issues and I have yet to use it since purchasing back in November and after a lot of questioning on here and testing my main panic was settled (my machine sounded as if it had a mechanical fault) however I have narrowed it down to an electrical board so cheapish to replace but its been a lot of hassle.
    When I searched on Youtube I found this was a common issue with them as China have different standards for electrical compliances so although it all looks nice and neat there are a few issues you need to sort out such as cable shielding, cheap components and everything crammed in a nice little box.
    I wouldn't say avoid a CNC 6040 altogether I just exercise precaution to expect to tinker with it.
    You will find a lot of good advice from here by the others as there is a lot of knowledgeable and experienced members.
    Hope you find what you are looking for and good luck with the woodworking, that's what I am into as well mainly.

Kind Regards
    Graham

Lives in South Shields, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-09-2018 Has been a member for 3-4 years. Has a total post count of 7.
    Hey Graham,

Did you buy on ebay? Wht was the name of the seller if so?

Quote Originally Posted by Chay View Post
    Hey Graham,

Did you buy on ebay? Wht was the name of the seller if so?
    Chinese sellers of this kind of generic product are up and down like the Assyrian Empire, only the name of a seller of known good product will help you and even he might change his source so there are few guarantees.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in South Shields, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-09-2018 Has been a member for 3-4 years. Has a total post count of 7.
    I've read the wiring and reliability in the 800w machines is better. I was trying for an educated pot luck choice :-)

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chay View Post
    I've read the wiring and reliability in the 800w machines is better. I was trying for an educated pot luck choice :-)
    I don't think you have heard that here. I would do some research before you splash the cash.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

No, it was a Facebook group. I’ve been reading up for a few months now and not seeing any alternative in that price range. Sadly that’s all the cash I have to get started.

Thread Information