. .
    Lives in London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18-12-2017 Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 12.
    Dear all

Hope someone can help.

My Emco Turn 55 had not been used for over 5 years. I finally got round to starting it. When executing a cutting program, the XZ and toolchanger all worked as programmed but the lathe will give a high pitch whine that last for maybe 1-2 seconds or so and then an error message pops up to say "no main spindle speed". The spindle did not move even a bit.

I took out the back panel to check on the Lenze 8200 Inverter Drive. When I switch on the PC Turn, immediately the Lenze Inverter Green LED started blinking and continue to blink nonstop. It will go solid green when it tried to execute the M3 code and whine. Once the whine stopped, it goes back to blinking.

I downloaded Lenze manual and it said that it could be "Motor parameter identification being executed" or it could be "Controller Inhibited". I am not sure what either of that means. Could it be that the spindle motor parameter has to be reentered into the Lenze because the memory for the spindle motor was lost?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    frank

Have you manually followed the process for "commissioning" the VFD?
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

It could also be that the Capacitors need reforming
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Lives in London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18-12-2017 Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 12.
    Thanks for replies.

Magicniner- The inverter is original equipment that was built in by Emco and the spindle was working properly before the prolonged storage. so i did not do any commissioning when i powered up the cnc lathe.

Eddycurrent - do you know if the lenze relies on batteries to remember motor parameters? how does the capacitor reforming help and how do i go about doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fgc View Post
    Thanks for replies.

Magicniner- The inverter is original equipment that was built in by Emco and the spindle was working properly before the prolonged storage. so i did not do any commissioning when i powered up the cnc lathe.
    If you think it may have lost parameters it's worth trying, reforming the caps is a very good suggestion if the VFD has been stored for a significant period without power,
    Regards,
    Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Fgc View Post
    Thanks for replies.
    Eddycurrent - do you know if the lenze relies on batteries to remember motor parameters? how does the capacitor reforming help and how do i go about doing it?
    I don't know about the battery but there is information here, for example, about capacitors; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuALonM_1X4

Roughly speaking a VFD goes from AC input, through a recifier to what is called the DC bus and the capacitors there act as a reservoir before the DC is chopped up into a synthesised sine wave of variable frequency.

I've just seen on page 28 of the manual; http://download.lenze.com/TD/E82EV__...__v3-0__EN.pdf
    it says; Storage > 2 years: form the DC bus capacitors.

Page 202 of the manual goes on to say;

Stop!
    Special commissioning procedure after long−term storage
    If controllers are stored for more than two years, the insulation resistance of
    the electrolyte may have changed.
    Possible consequences:
    ƒ During initial switch−on, the DC−bus capacitors and hence the controller are
    damaged.
    Protective measures:
    ƒ Form the DC−bus capacitors prior to commissioning. Instructions can be
    found on the Internet (www.Lenze.com).
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 08-11-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Or maybe nobody cares any more ?

thanks for the info. appreciate you taking time to send them. i had to travel so didn't have time to log in to check forum.
    looking at the info, it seems quite daunting a task to to recommission a machine from long storage :-(

Thread Information