. .
    Hi,
    Thanks for having me.

I run a small company servicing Computers, networks, electronics and MOT Garage Equipment.

I sometimes make test equipment for my own use and for low volume sale. I also sometimes make replacement circuit boards and control panels when practical.

Prototyping of PCB's, small enclosures and panels has always been a pain and far too slow. I've never had a cnc, but I'm sure a cnc engraver will be really useful to me (and fun).

I'm going low budget to start off. I plan to spend £500-600 on a China CNC with the knowledge that I'll probably need to upgrade and adjust setup to get it running well enough. I can live with that.

I'm painfully aware that all the questions I have will have been covered over and over again so I'll be sure to try and find answers before asking.

Sometimes, it's good to get conclusions verified by ones betters.

Thanks again for having me!

Michael

Hi Michael, I would be very interested in how you get on with your Chinese adventure. I am brand new to cnc as well and it seems to be a mine field as to spend or not to spend and end up with more or less than what you need. Please drop me a line with your progress.

Jiroma

Quote Originally Posted by Jiroma View Post
    Hi Michael, I would be very interested in how you get on with your Chinese adventure. I am brand new to cnc as well and it seems to be a mine field as to spend or not to spend and end up with more or less than what you need. Please drop me a line with your progress.

Jiroma
    To be honest, I'm falling down the rabbit hole. My budget would get me a cnc, no doubt, but I'd need to spend at least that again for upgrades to make it proper.

I'm actually now looking at the new version of the 6040 with improved control board, stepper drivers, spindle etc. It's looking like £1800 though. I can UNCOMFORTABLY afford that, and it will possibly need tweaking in future but I think that's what I'm gonna do.

Trying to hold myself back. Really want it, but with Christmas coming up and my van developing age related dementia- I should probably leave it a few months. We'll see. Lol

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'm a woodworker (hobbyist) so can't really justify spending that amount...also I think that would be more than what I need. Wooden signs etc is what I'm aiming at and I'm considering the xcarve.

Jiroma

Just an update. I now have a CNC and I've made my first cuts. I've been playing with it for coupla weeks, learning mach3 etc. I've learned millions. I went for this 6040z. I plan to modify and improve a few things straight away. I'll post my progress in the appropriate section.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171206_002254.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	910.2 KB 
ID:	23321

where are you in the country?

I'm in Paisley, Scotland.

Thread Information