. .
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. whats the verdict on the acorn?

Quote Originally Posted by battwell View Post
    whats the verdict on the acorn?
    Ye, I've got one and For Mill Retrofit it's spot on but for DIY Router then it's missing few things like Independent Homing for slaved axis etc but those are in Beta and hopefully out in next software release.
    The software is rock solid as it's exactly same as used on High-end systems and hardware is nice neat well made with a decent amount of I/O. Also Got spindle encoder input so can do Ridged tapping which is nice to have.

One small drawback for me is the fact it only works on Win10 and needs decent PC with plenty power. Suppose that's price progress.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 22-01-2018 at 07:32 PM.

One small drawback for me is the fact it only works on Win10 and needs decent PC with plenty power. Suppose that's price progress.!!
    I was trying to download the software today and it seemed to indicate win version 7,8 10 but they recommended 10. I failed because it says you need the board. It would be nice to see the front end.

Edit looks like I was wrong. From the forum:-
    CNC 11 is supported under Windows 7, 8, and 10.
    CNC 12 is only supported under Windows 10.
    If you are building a new PC, it is highly recommended to use Windows 10 so it is future proof.
    Last edited by Clive S; 22-01-2018 at 07:53 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Centroid Acorn

I have one that i am currently installing on a CNC plasma Cutter. So far it look good it supports most g codes and looks like it might be a great alternative to Mach 3. I have used both Mach 3 and Linux based CNC controls with mixed results. Mach 3 is very old technology and so far the amount time required to get a Linux, or Kflop control to work is just not worth it.

I benched the Acorn getting three motors work in less than 2 hours. I will post some pictures and a link to a running machine n about two weeks.

I also use Siemens for my larger machine build projects. For a home or small shop application the Acorn looks like a great option.

I now have my Acorn based Bridgeport conversion working, and am pleased with the Acorn board and CNC 12 software (with December 2017 update)
    I am still using the free version as I am undecided whether to go for Pro Version at $139 or the Digitising package at $399.
    There doesn't appear to be a CNC12 manual, but I'm using the generic Centroid manual downloaded from the website and it looks to be pretty compatible with CNC12.
    I am using a refurbed Dell Optiplex 755 with Windows 10, (Amazon or ebay) which has a CPU which falls a bit short of the recommended single thread performance stated by Centroid but it works ok.
    CNC 12 has a nice front end - looks professional - can't wait to find a sensible priced touch screen.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ye, I've got one and For Mill Retrofit it's spot on but for DIY Router then it's missing few things like Independent Homing for slaved axis etc but those are in Beta and hopefully out in next software release.
    The software is rock solid as it's exactly same as used on High-end systems and hardware is nice neat well made with a decent amount of I/O. Also Got spindle encoder input so can do Ridged tapping which is nice to have.

Last edited by DY10CNC; 22-01-2018 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Updated price of software

Quote Originally Posted by DY10CNC View Post
    CNC 12 has a nice front end - looks professional - can't wait to find a sensible priced touch screen.
    Here you go just got one and very nice. NO stand thou.!!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Views....c100011.m1850

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

8. has anyone tried the radius offsets to destruction- by that i mean doing something all the others fail on?
    i have a dxf which fails on everything ive tried. mach, linux dynomotion, uccnc ( first tester of its g41/42)
    its a very simple fail- where the tool comes to a segment smaller than its tool radius (which can happen in any .dxf really)

im running uccnc for all my routers- as i havnt found anything so far that comes close in respect of its motion planner for cv (for fast machines)- its giving me perfect parts every time while keeping up the pace etc.

anyway- il send anyone that has acorn the .dxf to try- its very simple and easy to run.

il probably stay with uccnc for the routers and plasma, but the lathe package is where i think it will be way ahead... lots of features not yet implemented into uccnc.

9. [QUOTE=

One small drawback for me is the fact it only works on Win10 and needs decent PC with plenty power. Suppose that's price progress.!![/QUOTE]

i hate anything after windows 7- i only upgraded to 7 last year reluctantly! but i do have some high spec machines i could put it on.
    just got a denford fanuc atc in to retrofit for myself. could maybe try one on there. i have someone that wants to buy the fanuc stuff out of it so il be putting mitsubishi servos etc in instead.

by the way- re macros for acorn- what language are they in? can unlimited be created and stored? does it have the equivalent of a macro loop etc? (these are must haves for me to have full control over what i need to do.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    ATCs is where the Acorn board may struggle for IO.

Taking a Triac ATC, it needs 5 inputs (Carousel In, Out, Up, Down, and index sensor) and 5 outputs (Carousel CW, CCW, In, Down, and drawbar) for the ATC alone.

That only leaves 3 and 3.
    Input wise, allow one for E-stop/limits (combined on Triac's), one drive fault, one for a probe, and you're out of inputs.
    Where do you connect the homing switches/sensors?

Output wise, spindle CW, CCW, coolant, and you're out of outputs.
    I'm assuming the drive enables are a separate output on the step/dir headers, if not you're definitely short on outputs.

I will say the software does look good, and it could be the best software in the world, but if you can't get enough inputs and outputs, it's useless.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

11. hmmm- that could be a sticking point then. wonder if their add on boards work?- but then its becoming an expensive system.
    some of my machines ive converted have over 110 i/o in use . thats always been the crunch to what controller can be used .
    does it suport modbus? if so i have arduino megas running here for extra i/o (ive had 6 running 300 i/o no problem with uccnc and mach3)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information