. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi,
    I am wanting to make a silicon mould of a piece I will be milling (so that i can reproduce it)therefore the aesthetics of the original aren't important- when i've done this before with pieces that are 2d (or comprised mainly of 2d parts) i've used plywood with a little beech for any small 3d bits. As i'm sure everyone here knows, solid timber can be quite costly, just wondering if anyone has any alternative, cheaper suggestions that can hold 3d designs to a depth of about 14mm.
    Thanks in advance,
    Mark

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Some form of hard foam? Would this work?

Machine wax, here's one supplier, there are others, http://trycut.co.uk/
    It's quite expensive but there's no waste as it just remelts back to a block.
    So after the initial cost each part made is essentially free
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 15-11-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Nice find. Might look at this too for 'stuff'.

There are some recipes on line for home-brewed machinable wax, one involves Paraffin Wax, old carrier bags and an old deep fat fryer, must try it some time :D
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Was snooping around looking at the waxes and came across this.

http://www.collegeengineering.co.uk/...ials/testfoam/

I think these waxes and foams are a great idea to test out tool paths on a complex piece before risking it on the real thing. They are not cheap though...

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    So after the initial cost each part made is essentially free
    That's very interesting, any thoughts on the spindle speed and feed, I have visions of melted wax everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by mark84 View Post
    That's very interesting, any thoughts on the spindle speed and feed, I have visions of melted wax everywhere!
    Id guess its similar to alu but its only a guess. Perhaps ask the vendor and let us know your finding please. Also interested in this.

Whatever it takes to keep friction down and without deformation of the wax, a relatively slow spindle speed but a relatively high feed rate. ("relatively" meaning, I don't know an exact number for certain )
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 16-11-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information