. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    What do you think?
    Just a bit wiring needed, then some gaffer tape onto the side of the machine, and I'll be good to go

Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Shouldn't that big red knob be labeled 'Oh F**k', but I do think you have overcomplicated things,
    Last edited by cropwell; 13-11-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I'll get a fresh Sharpie out once it's all fitted for the labelling.

From top left to right, I think it's these labels-
    Big dial - Move.
    Little knob one - Lefty/Righty, Inny/Outty, Uppy Downy (plus spinny aroundy for the 4th axis option)
    Little knob two - Wee nudge, Wee Baw Hair, Big Baw Hair, Big Nudge
    Big knob one - No as fast, Faster
    Big know two - Quiet, Loud
    Red Button - Whoa!
    Green Button - Go!
    Big Red Button - S***e!

Like it ! Puts mine to shame and makes it look over-considered.
    Can't wait for you to hit that estop and punch it through the panel whilst your machine carries on !
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

That's a posh box, I think you may have over-engineered it! :D
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    This is my Oh s###e button,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	control box.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	23205
    And it bean tested many times
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I've been umming and arring over the control panel for a while, and having finally finished all the major cabinet wiring and programming last week, it has reached the top of my roundtuit list.

While contemplating button/dial placement, I happened to notice the box which was about the size I had in my head. So after rounding up all the bits, I got the scissors out tonight. I was going to put the axis/step size select switches above the MPG, but having tested the layout, I felt the MPG would be too easy to knock while working the switches, which is why all that seems a bit bunched up.
    I'm going to put a handle along below the buttons, so I can rest my hand on it while working the MPG.

Next step is modelling it in Fusion.

You'll be needing the Mach Tavish plug-in Dr Finlay !

I'm actually surprised to read this thread here and now - I'm in the process of replacing a panel on the starmill that had a single E-Stop button with one with a full axis/mpg and DRO indicators, and just last night started learning F360 and mocking up the panel.

I might nick the alternative E-Stop label, though

Doddy, I've done various sketches for control panels, but I really wanted to test the layout, as that's the only way you can get a proper feel for how it'll work.

Like the MPG/selector switch thing. The selector switches above makes sense from a visibility view, as it means their labels would be more visible, however as I mentioned, trying them with the mock-up, it felt like I had to make an effort to lift my hand up, over and clear of the MPG to move them to avoid using the MPG itself as a steady for my hand.

This will be getting coupled with just a touchscreen. I will have USB ports on the housing should I want to connect a keyboard/mouse, however I've got no plan to have them permanently connected, as I'm aiming for most things to be done via the touchscreen, with only physical buttons for critical functions.
    I am currently considering not even having the axis/step size select switches, as I've seen a way of adding that functionality to a touchscreen in a way that I think will work well (the new screen designer for KMotionCNC has opened up a lot of options!). If it works, it will save me a good bit of fiddly wiring, as the connectors on the selector switches have to be soldered, with a terminal for each position you want to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information