. .
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    got quoted £2080 to supply and weld this table which a abit on the high price tbh :( i know most of you prefer steel due to it being alot cheaper but surely making the table out of aluminium extrusion isn't going to cost me £2080. if it wasn't such a large table i would try myself but i just aint got the confidence on welding such a large frame.

Looking at video's of people putting aluminium frames together just looks like fun and easy enough to do but then i have no idea on what methods they took to make sure they had fully flat extrusions for the rails to go on. i know on steel i was going to use epoxy resin but what do you do on aluminium?

sorry for the questions guy's i just need to start cracking on now otherwise i will just keep listening to my partner nagging telling me its just another fantasy isn't it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.2.jpg 
Views:	807 
Size:	383.7 KB 
ID:	23314
    Last edited by reefy86; 05-12-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    sorry for the questions guy's i just need to start cracking on now otherwise i will just keep listening to my partner nagging telling me its just another fantasy isn't it
    No prob with the questions but I might be a good idea to keep them all in one place. ie in the same thread
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

noted Clive :)

I would get another quote on the welding reefy, but it could be that half the price is for lifting and transporting

well to be fair he has been the only one to actually get back to me with a quote lol, the minute i mention it needs to be perfectly square and properly made they run lol.

would it be justifiable to use heavy extrusions for a more rigid strong frame? the price difference is huge but dont mind paying for it if its a plus side for the machine.

90x90 10mm slot light version
    £122.85 18.9kg

90x90 10mm slot heavy version
    £198.75 31.5kg

both 3000mm long

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    would it be justifiable to use heavy extrusions for a more rigid strong frame? the price difference is huge but dont mind paying for it if its a plus side for the machine.

90x90 10mm slot light version
    £122.85 18.9kg

90x90 10mm slot heavy version
    £198.75 31.5kg

both 3000mm long
    In one of your other posts did not you say you would be happy with a 4' x 4' machine!! or are you set on a 8 x 4?

bigger machines are generally much more difficult to build and thus more expensive.

Have a read through some of the very good build logs on here as that might help.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

doesn't seam a bad price to me when you consider the time and material costs. There has to be 500+ in materials and if you want it perfect then your going to need to pay for skilled labour. using 90x90 ali its going to be at least that maybe more!

forgot to mention about that clive, im sticking with the 8x4 because either way it was the width i was having a problem with not length so even if i went 4x4 i would still have the same problem but thats all sorted now and i am sticking with a 8x4.

Removed.
    Last edited by spluppit; 06-12-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information