. .
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    What do you think of my idea which probably some of you may think its a waste of money on the extra epoxy resin.

There will be 2 gantry sections so the z axis is boxed in the middle.

this is just a quick rough up, the red pieces are the epoxy resin fully cured

1. weld the steel box sections together

2. lay the sections down on a level surface and pour epoxy resin

3. after 10 days or however long it takes to cure flip the sections back to normal position.

4. attach gantry side plates and adjust and bolt to as square as you can get it.

5. again pour epoxy resin to level both sections on the same plane

6. attach the linear rail on the front of the sections and then use a magnetic gauge indicator and use the top to line up the rails.

Would like some opinions on the above please :) in the meantime i am purchasing necessary tools to get the job started but would like your input if possible.

1. how accurate of 1800mm straight edges and if someone can recommend one if the cheap ones are no good.

2. is bigger the better for the engineer squares? seen some 300mm ones but are nearly £100 each

3. anything else you recommend i should buy to make things easier on the way?

I know you guys are probably sick of hearing from me now lol but things will actually be getting done once i have ordered the necessary tools.

Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    Would like some opinions on the above please :) in the meantime i am purchasing necessary tools to get the job started but would like your input if possible.

1. how accurate of 1800mm straight edges and if someone can recommend one if the cheap ones are no good.

2. is bigger the better for the engineer squares? seen some 300mm ones but are nearly £100 each

3. anything else you recommend i should buy to make things easier on the way?

I know you guys are probably sick of hearing from me now lol but things will actually be getting done once i have ordered the necessary tools.
    I dont quite get it.. will one set of rails be on top and 2 sets in between? :D

For question 1 you should read boyans build threads. Somewhere in there he states DIN numbers for the necessary straight edge and where to find them. If Im not misstaken he also wrote about the squares..

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

no just 2 sets in between and the epoxy on the top is just a reference for the gauge indicator, one some videos people sit a magnetic block onto to linear bearing blocks and the have the gauge indicator touch against the aluminium extrusion all the way down the rail until its square but aluminium extrusion is not perfectly straight but with the epoxy resin being very flat and straight then i thought doing it this way may work.

no just 2 sets in between and the epoxy on the top is just a reference for the gauge indicator, one some videos people sit a magnetic block onto to linear bearing blocks and the have the gauge indicator touch against the aluminium extrusion all the way down the rail until its square but aluminium extrusion is not perfectly straight but with the epoxy resin being very flat and straight then i thought doing it this way may work.
    Now I get it, smart! ;)

I have been using a dti alot lately.. was so hung up on aligning my rails (went fine) that I more or less forgot/neglected the ballscrews, bearings and ballnut..

If you get a dti make sure it has a good holder (if its called that) with a strong magnetic base.
    Mine is utter crap and its frustrating when you hand turn the ballscrew with everything mouted from one end almost to the next and the dial tip just moves off the reference. Not worth the 5-20 you save on a cheap holder :)

I have no idea what its called i just call it a gauge indicator lol.

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    DTI Dial Test Indicator

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    It all depends on what you are cutting, There is somebody on here making surfboards with long cutters out of a type of foam.
    that's me I use a 7" bit and have around 9" of z travel but you wont cut much more than foam with it

I have no idea what its called i just call it a gauge indicator lol.
    Haha I ment the base or mount or whatever you call it.. make sure you get a good one!

Cheers mate, still need to brace the bed frame a little more at the bottom and brace the side gantry plates but would like some feedback if anyone thinks i will run into any problems. will be extending the bed by another meter at the bottom for a 4th axis, z height is 200mm but can also do up to 400mm by making the 4th axis centre in line with the bed so with the z axis boxed in do you think this is strong enough for what i wanted it for?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.22.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	483.8 KB 
ID:	23567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.23.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	884.8 KB 
ID:	23568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.24.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	635.4 KB 
ID:	23569

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread Information