. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have a stretched cadet Pacer cnc which I am very happy with and is working fine. It's working on a windows XP platform. I have been told it can machine 21/2D. This is what I would like to achieve for the cnc. It is a very similar machine that we had back in Artform approx 2001. It had Rhino software and worked fine from what I can remember. I have spoken to Rhino and they can't help me with an old software and their latest version for a licence is approx 2k. This is way out of my league at even half the price. I've spoken to AXYZ who own Pacer now as well. Does anyone know a way around this that works as it would be a major plus to be able to carve etc. Thanks in advance for anyone helping me. Mike
    Last edited by rainboweyes; 06-12-2017 at 12:12 AM.

I have a stretched cadet Pacer cnc which I am very happy with and is working fine. It's working on a windows XP platform. I have been told it can machine 21/2D. This is what I would like to achieve for the cnc. It is a very similar machine that we had back in Artform approx 2001. It had Rhino software and worked fine from what I can remember. I have spoken to Rhino and they can't help me with an old software and their latest version for a licence is approx 2k. This is way out of my league at even half the price. I've spoken to AXYZ who own Pacer now as well. Does anyone know a way around this that works as it would be a major plus to be able to carve etc. Thanks in advance for anyone helping me. Mike
    Last edited by rainboweyes; 06-12-2017 at 09:46 PM.

That's difficult for me to read on my tablet!
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Is there an echo in here? ;-)

Yep £2000 is way to expensive for me. I was a Prototype Engineer at Artform for many years but now I have a second income with Box Clever design and just looking to develop my own ideas.

If you want something reasonably easy to use, you could look at the Vectric products - Cut3D, VCarve, or Aspire might fit the bill. Alternatively, for non-commercial use, Fusion 360 is a very powerful full-blown 3D CAD/CAM package and is free, but it does cost quite a bit for commercial use

All of these will take you from initial design on-screen through to toolpath generation. Whether they can generate gcode that runs on your machine depends on the motion control software that drives your machine. Do you know what that is?
    Last edited by Neale; 06-12-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Do something about the font you are using !

Have a look at CamBam, FreeCAD, CAMotics.
    Members of the CamBam forum can make a post processor (only for use with CamBam) for your machine if you can supply the correct information regarding it's gcode dialect.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 06-12-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Thanks I'm looking at the software's you have mentioned just looking at how to get them onto my pc as they are costly again. Didn't know fusion 360 was free missed that somehow. As you say generating the gcode is a different matter. The information that I can give you about the control stuff is XMC-E Version 3.23.1.6
    Model Cadet with NEE Controller Axiomatic Technology Ltd. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else and thanks in advance.

Thanks for that will look into this amongst everything else, it's the post processing that is the key by all counts. Tried to alter the text but not happening.

I bought BobCAD-CAM V25 4-Axis Standard near the end of it's service life for a total of around £1200.
    For the price it's fantastic and was the step change in functionality compared to previous versions they needed, the opportunity to run trials of the versions up to 29 has been very useful.

If I were you I'd go for the free to small users Autodesk product, it's fantastic value right up to the point they pull the plug and hand you a bill for your next 12 months functionality, although I'm sure Autodesk would never do something like that to free users in the way they've tried to do it to Perpetual Licence users! :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information