. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've got myself a uccnc hd bb2 bob that has rj45 connectors. Balazs at uccnc explained that the axis connections are as follows

HDBB2 RJ45 pin 1. step --- Drive Pul+
    HDBB2 RJ45 pin 2. dir --- Drive Dir+
    HDBB2 RJ45 pin 3. gnd --- Drive Pul-
    HDBB2 RJ45 pin 3. gnd --- Drive Dir-

I will be wiring to 3 leadshine em705 digital drivers. Would I be correct in assuming that I could link DIR- and PULSE- on the stepper itself ? Or is there a better way to wire the drivers with this BOB ?
    Cheers

Andrew
    Last edited by the great waldo; 07-12-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling

This drive seems to have NPN control signal wiring only and differential. Meaning opposite of what your BOB , common + instead of - , so check further BOB manual, drive manual and ask again if needed. read drive manual and see if that could be changed via jumper or sth. And if not- they are not compatible
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    I've got myself a uccnc hd bb2 bob that has rj45 connectors. Balazs at uccnc explained that the axis connections are as follows

HDBB2 RJ45 pin 1. step --- Drive Pul+
    HDBB2 RJ45 pin 2. dir --- Drive Dir+
    HDBB2 RJ45 pin 3. gnd --- Drive Pul-
    HDBB2 RJ45 pin 3. gnd --- Drive Dir-

I will be wiring to 3 leadshine em705 digital drivers. Would I be correct in assuming that I could link DIR- and PULSE- on the stepper itself ? Or is there a better way to wire the drivers with this BOB ?
    Cheers

Andrew
    Hi,

Not sure I understand what you mean about linking DIR- and PULSE- on the stepper itself. Unless you have a special stepper with a built-in driver there is no DIR and PULSE on a stepper. Steppers normally only have winding connectors and those are connected to the driver (your Leadshine) motor side, which provides the current and voltage necessary for the motors. DIR and PULSE signals are provided by the motion controller, in my case the UC300ETH, and those signals are connected to a BoB through the DB25 (or other connector types) to drive the opto couplers of the stepper drivers which handles the motors. Do NOT connect the PUL- and the DIR- to the steppers at all, unless you have a special stepper with built in driver.

The last page shows how to connect the driver.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 08-12-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Hi A-Camera

I made a typing error. What I meant to ask can I connect the dir- and the puls - on the stepper driver, as the pin out that Balazs mentioned used one pin on the rj45 socket for both connections. I was wondering if pulse - and dir- are connected together somewhere or they go to ground?

Regards

Andrew

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    EM drives have differential inputs, but canbe connected as single ended in NPN or PNP type setups.

What you want is to connect the drive -'s to gnd, and then the step/dir to the drive +'s.
    And yes, you could connect the drive -'s together at the drive.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks m_c

I'm a newbie at all this cnc stuff but am learning by doing (and asking) I'm hoping that the uccnc hdbb2 board is a reasonable one compared to all the other chinese bob's. The uccnc software has been a delight to use. I'm only using the usb uc100 version (contemplating uc300 if it's a worthwhile update) My main use for cnc is woodworking (guitar making) some plastic routing pickguards and maybe a little Ali or brass machining. The manual for the hdbb2 is a bit high tech, I think I need a "trigger" version as opposed to the "del boy" version. Thanks to all on the forum that answer my query's and sorry if sometimes all is not clear 1 o'clock in the morning the brain can be a bit loose after a hard day.

Cheers

Andrew
    Last edited by the great waldo; 08-12-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling again

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    EM drives have differential inputs, but canbe connected as single ended in NPN or PNP type setups.

What you want is to connect the drive -'s to gnd, and then the step/dir to the drive +'s.
    In the manual of the drive it says only NPN and differential? No words for PNP

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post

Hi m_c

I hope i'm not being a pain. Would it be ok to connect the (hdbb2 rj45 pin 3 LPT port ground) to the dir - then a link from there to pulse - ? assuming that the ground would come from the bob. Or would I have to run a connection from the pulse - to the gnd. point on the stepper driver ?
    Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Boyan, the EM hardware manual shows all three connection types (NPN, PNP, Differential) - http://leadshine.com/UploadFile/Down/EMhm_P.pdf

Andrew, for the step/dir signals, you want to stick with the signal ground (i.e. the one from the BOB), and not mix them with any of the power grounds.
    The power grounds should be connected to the signal ground at some point, however you don't want to be using any ground wire that is carrying high currents (i.e. the stepper supply), as it risks problems with interference/noise.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Sorry, the manual i have downloaded showed only 2 possible connections, which is strange. Good to know. I thought that strange anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information