. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Superb stuff Wal - that's line I'm heading towards for my guitar logo's etc. I'll be picking your brains on this topic I'm sure as my design/build gets off the ground.

Francis
    https://milsomguitars.weebly.com/

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwm891 View Post
    Superb stuff Wal - that's line I'm heading towards for my guitar logo's etc. I'll be picking your brains on this topic I'm sure as my design/build gets off the ground.

Francis
    https://milsomguitars.weebly.com/
    Hi Francis,

I'll try to drop you a line this evening - just working on a project this weekend and it's all consuming..!

Had a quick look at your site - my word, you build some beautiful guitars..!

Wal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Hi Wal
    Where do you get your pearl cutters from ? and what kind of speed feed rates are you using. I liked your dream or die video. Was that an arbortech turboplane that your'e using.

Cheers

Andrew
    Last edited by the great waldo; 05-11-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Well Wal, I've been playing around with the WorkBee for a while now here's one of the latest headstock inlays I've done...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headstock-logo.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	440.1 KB 
ID:	25021

The MOP inlay was cut with 0.5 and 0.3mm end mills, the wood inlays 1.3mm end mill. Feeds @ 20k rpm for the inlay circa 1.5 mm/sec with 0.3mm depth of cut. The wood inlay pockets were cut circa 5mm / sec 1.2mm depth. I remembered you saying about super gluing your MOP to an ali sheet and soak in boiling water to release the parts. I ended up super gluing to thin MDF and soaking in boiling water. The MDF just swells up and flakes away.
    Last edited by fwm891; 05-11-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Andrew,

Thanks for your kind words, I'll be posting about that Dream or Die piece in the next few minutes as there are a couple of questions I have regarding grain filler... Anyway, I buy my cutters from APT in Glasgow. I use ordinary two-flute carbide cutters - the same as I use for aluminium/brass/wood. Heh - they seem to work for everything! A couple of links:

https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/end-mills...d-carbide.html
    https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/micro-dia...ide-60hrc.html

Feeds and speeds are very conservative when using the smaller cutter - less than 0.6mm and I'm running around 1-1.5mm/sec - yep, very slow but luckily inlays tend to be pretty small so it's not too much of an issue. The larger 52mm surfacing tool I use is from Wealden:

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Surface-Trim.html

Francis - that's an awesome looking headstock - that WorkBee is certainly doing the business for you! Good call on the MDF - I take it that you don't get any issues with fibres sticking to the back of the inlay pieces?

Wal.

Thanks Wal - no any fibres that do stick a light rub on fine wet-n-dry removes them - I use APT as well for my cutters - very prompt service.

Hi Wal
    Thanks for the links, i'll check them out.Your right about the slow speed. I cut my surname out on Sunday (12 Letters Polish name !) 6 passes with a 0.5mm cutter must have taken 45 mins. My cutters are a bit long so I didn't want to push them too much. The cutters on the apt site are a little short on the 0.5mm dia, only 1mm deep my pearl is usually 1.5mm thick. That surfacing cutter looks really useful.

Cheers

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    Hi Wal
    Thanks for the links, i'll check them out.Your right about the slow speed. I cut my surname out on Sunday (12 Letters Polish name !) 6 passes with a 0.5mm cutter must have taken 45 mins. My cutters are a bit long so I didn't want to push them too much. The cutters on the apt site are a little short on the 0.5mm dia, only 1mm deep my pearl is usually 1.5mm thick. That surfacing cutter looks really useful.

Cheers

Andrew
    Andrew, they also stock long necks:

https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/2-flute-l...lls-68hrc.html

Wal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Hi Wal.
    Thanks for that, I'll have to give my plastic friend a bashing.
    Cheers.
    Andrew

I've done a bit of MOP machining as well, also for guitar inlays. Your technique of gluing the blanks to a plate for machining sounds excellent. I made a small fixture from aluminum to hold a 1" x 1.5" MOP blank. as shown in the photo. I cut out a lizard figure, and cut the corresponding pocket to inlay it into. There is a photo of a finished inlay, although this one happens to be cut from African blackwood, not MOP;

Name:	DSC04353.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	26892

Name:	DSC04350.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	26891

My apologies for the imperial measurements -- we colonials are rather backward, you know!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information