. .
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    If what your saying is you'll lose 3mm. Ie: lets say pulley boss is 30mm wide and your 27mm into it then yes that will be perfectly fine.
    Can get away with 3/4 into the the pulley width any less and your pushing it.
    Hi Jazz, reading a few of the forum threads, I think most people use the 5mm pitch HTD pulleys with 15mm wide belts. Is there a certain number of teeth engaged with the pulley for best torque transfer, as I was looking at maybe the 20 tooth pulley, which is 26mm wide. The motor shaft with give me about 20mm so this should be ok I think. On the ballscrew shafts do you file flats onto the end to give the grub screws a better bite on it?

As for the ATC spindle my take on this is that I would need the ATC spindle, some form of linear or round tool holder, a compressor as I think that the tools are held in the spindle with pneumatics. How do the tool changes work, are they programmed into the G code that Mach 3 processes. I Have seen that each tool on a linear tool holder has a seperate set of coordinates and the tool height is reset each time and with the circular holders you need to rotate the holder to select tools, how is this programmed in. It all seems a bit complicated to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NFryer View Post
    Hi Jazz, reading a few of the forum threads, I think most people use the 5mm pitch HTD pulleys with 15mm wide belts. Is there a certain number of teeth engaged with the pulley for best torque transfer, as I was looking at maybe the 20 tooth pulley, which is 26mm wide.
    They say should have 6 or more teeth engaged on the smallest pulley.
    Regards the 20T then yes these are fine and what I often use. However it does depend on the Motor shaft to some degree because of the Boss diameter. If using large motors you may have to increase pulley size to suit a Boss that gives enough material left for grub screws after being bored.

On the ballscrew shafts do you file flats onto the end to give the grub screws a better bite on it?
    Yes and I use 3 Grub screws in each pulley plus I locitite them on using Strong loctite.

As for the ATC spindle my take on this is that I would need the ATC spindle, some form of linear or round tool holder, a compressor as I think that the tools are held in the spindle with pneumatics.
    Yes need compressor for draw bar that pulls toolholder into spindle and also some have Air purge on the taper to keep clean.
    The tool holders you can buy. Like these.!
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...ceBeautifyAB=0

How do the tool changes work, are they programmed into the G code that Mach 3 processes. I Have seen that each tool on a linear tool holder has a seperate set of coordinates and the tool height is reset each time and with the circular holders you need to rotate the holder to select tools, how is this programmed in. It all seems a bit complicated to me.
    Not in the G-code but into the M6 tool change macro which mach3 uses every time you call for tool in your G-code.
    In the G-code each tool change will be called with command like T1 M06. This then tells mach to run M6 macro and change to tool #1.

The M6 macro is where you put all the code required to operate the tool changer. Depending on the type of tool changer will determine how difficult. For instance rack mounted tool holders are easier to code because you just provide coordinates each tool is located in the rack.
    Obviously you have to keep track of current tool and tell it where to put back before going to get new tool. Also need to operate few external bits of hardware like Air solenoids at the right times and tell how far lift up and put down etc but in general it's not massive job to create a tool change macro for rack mount.
    Now carousel type gets little more involved because lots more going on. Got things whizzing in/out and spinning round which need to be monitored before next step can happen. Then got to keep track of tool again so gets put back in empty holder then decide which way to spin for next tool etc.

So yes could say "It's all bit complicated" but still do-able. Basicly just copy some body else M6 macro and make it fit your needs..Lol
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 01-03-2018 at 12:25 AM.

Hi, everyone, hope you haven't had too much trouble in the snow. I've got some more work done on the router, the gantry end plates, X axis carriage plates and reinforcement plates. I haven't quite finished the motor mount in the gantry end plate, but I wanted to get the bits assembled to see if the Y axis ballscrew that I got fitted, and much to my relief it did. I've just started to mount the channel which will support the Y axis drag chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yes and I use 3 Grub screws in each pulley plus I locitite them on using Strong loctite.
    Hi Jazz, that's the red loctite isn't it? Do you use the blue loctite on other bolts in the machine or is bolts loosening due to vibration not such a problem.

Going back to the ATC spindle have you used one of the Mechatron tool change adaptors for a normal spindle which I found on Sorotec's website https://www.sorotec.de/shop/Tool-cha...m-spindle.html. I think that to get started I would prefer a normal spindle to learn the basics of cnc machining and then to upgrade using this adaptor at a later date.

Finally I'm not the best with the electrical side of things. I shouldn't have a problem building a power supply for the drives, but I'm a bit confused with the wiring between the CSMIO and the drive. I was looking at the Lichuan drive and the Leadshine easy servo drive and both seem to accept 24V input with the use of current limiting resistors on the step and direction inputs for single ended. For the differential connection do you not need the resistors as in the data sheets, the differential connections are shown with a 5V connection. Can you not directly connect the drives to the CSMIO, or do you have to reduce the voltage for the differential connection.

Just a small update to follow on from the last one, I got a pair of small supports made to fix the Y axis drag chain support channel to the back of the gantry end plates.

Looking good
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Looking good
    Thanks, it's not going too badly. I want the machine to look good, hence countersinking all the cap head bolts, tucking away the motors and not having them stick out and rounding and slope cutting bit like the gantry end plates. It probably won't add any to the performance of the machine but it should look good and sleek.

Hi Jazz, that's the red loctite isn't it? Do you use the blue loctite on other bolts in the machine or is bolts loosening due to vibration not such a problem.
    Yes Red on anything that don't want to slip or move. Blue on anything that just want to stop coming loose.

Going back to the ATC spindle have you used one of the Mechatron tool change adaptors for a normal spindle which I found on Sorotec's website https://www.sorotec.de/shop/Tool-cha...m-spindle.html. I think that to get started I would prefer a normal spindle to learn the basics of cnc machining and then to upgrade using this adaptor at a later date.
    No I havent and not sure what to think about this design.? I'd be worried about runout and stress on the spindle. Think I'd be giving it a miss and going with real thing. Would get stronger spindle with more torque and less runout.

I was looking at the Lichuan drive and the Leadshine easy servo drive and both seem to accept 24V input with the use of current limiting resistors on the step and direction inputs for single ended. For the differential connection do you not need the resistors as in the data sheets, the differential connections are shown with a 5V connection. Can you not directly connect the drives to the CSMIO, or do you have to reduce the voltage for the differential connection.
    No don't need resistors the CSMIO Step/dir Outputs are 5v not 24v.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 06-03-2018 at 05:13 PM.

I have yet to build a cnc router, but your build looks amazing! No access to a CNC mill or even a manual and you are turning out great parts...

Looking forward to seeing the finished machine and also seeing how it performs.

The design looked spot on and your skill in machining the parts is something to aspire to.

I am guessing you are an expert in woodworking!

Keep the updates coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I have yet to build a cnc router, but your build looks amazing! No access to a CNC mill or even a manual and you are turning out great parts...

Looking forward to seeing the finished machine and also seeing how it performs.

The design looked spot on and your skill in machining the parts is something to aspire to.

I am guessing you are an expert in woodworking!

Keep the updates coming!
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for the compliments, I have done quite a bit woodworking in the past. I've never however done any metalwork with the accuracy needed to build a CNC machine. I took a while to learn the basics of Fusion 360 and model the design and this has helped a lot with visualising the design. You can also isolate individual parts so it's easy to layout, check and make the parts.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information