. .
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    OK You might have been better with 8 wire motors wired in parallel as you would get more speed out of them I take it these are for a router. Although having said that I have no experience with the motors and drive you have.

I have 4 motors on my router running from a 500Va tx at about 70V with no problems. I doubt they would pull more than 8-9 A

Good luck with the build.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

2. Woohoo! That is one stout build and very clean work, particularly for not having a mill. Seriously, great stuff. I missed the type of linear rails you're using and do you like them? Also, do you have a supplier. I'm in the USA.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wiremonkey View Post
    Woohoo! That is one stout build and very clean work, particularly for not having a mill. Seriously, great stuff. I missed the type of linear rails you're using and do you like them? Also, do you have a supplier. I'm in the USA.
    Thanks
    Thanks for the compliment about the work I've done and it maybe a bit of overkill but better stout than all flimsy. The rails I'm using are Hiwin 20mm ones together with narrow carriages on the Z axis and the wide ones on both the Y and X axes. I got them custom sized from a supplier here in the UK. If you want them you could try Fred at BST Automation on AliExpress. He sells Hiwin stuff and is a great supplier as I got a set of custom ballscrews from him and had no problems at all with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MILLING WITH A ROUTER!? Impressive. Nice work!
    --------------
    Check out my DIY CNC trials and tribulation videos on YouTube: https://youtu.be/SwHb75_GWwM

Hi everyone, I've managed to get a bit more done on the router build, and have finished the 4 end plates which connect the 2 X axis aluminium extrusions, the corner legs and support the X axis ballscrews. I had to slightly alter the design as the ball screw on the fixed bearing end protruded through the end plate a bit more than anticipated. I had to make a simple rectangular cutout for the motor and a separate plate for the motor adjustment to tension the belt. To make the rectangular cutout I made a series of holes to get rid of most of the material and then used a end mill in the router and a template to neaten it up.

Nice work!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickhofen For This Useful Post:

The second part of the update is the making of the motor mounting plates which were done in a similar way to the end plates. The 4 bolt slots were first drilled and then tidied up using the router and a end mill. This time I didn't use a template, just a side fence and 2 stops at the front and back. The centre slot was then made bigger then necessary to allow for larger pulleys to be used and because the motor face was not flat and had a raised centre part.

Wonderful work. Anyone looking to build their first CNC machine without access to a mill should bookmark this thread as a great example of bootstrapping your way in.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Wonderful work. Anyone looking to build their first CNC machine without access to a mill should bookmark this thread as a great example of bootstrapping your way in.
    Hi routercnc, thanks for the compliment, I've enjoyed following your MK4 build and watching the videos you have made. Believe it or not I haven't done much metalwork before, so this has been a voyage of discovery as well. I think some of my success has been in getting some proper layout tools such as the height gauge and optical punch off eBay and learning the basics of Fusion 360 which really helps visualise the parts and the design as a whole.

Hi everyone, I've made a bit more progress with the build and have built the unregulated stepper PSU. I managed to get a cheap 2*45VAC toroidal transformer which is probably well over specification, but it was a good deal. It will easily power the 4 steppers and a 5th when I add a rotary axis at a later date. I decided to include a Sedlbauer inrush current limiter because of the toroid size, and spent a bit more money on 105 degree centigrade rated capacitors. I have used the aluminium base plate as a heatsink for the bridge regulator and used a heatsink thermal compound to get good heat transfer. I was pretty confident that I had wired the PSU correctly but decided to play it safe and power it up using a variac to gradually increase the mains voltage from zero up to 240VAC. It all went well and nothing went up in a cloud of smoke.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information