. .
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Following on from the previous post I've made 4 similar braces for the sides of the router frame and some simple plates to bolt them in. All of the main frame is now just about complete and can be bolted together in the garage in its final position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NFryer For This Useful Post:

Tank style :D

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NFryer View Post
    Following on from the previous post I've made 4 similar braces for the sides of the router frame and some simple plates to bolt them in. All of the main frame is now just about complete and can be bolted together in the garage in its final position.

Looking good !

Grtz Bert.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

Hi everyone, I've not really had much spare time to get on with the build, but I have started to look into the control panel build, and I could do with a bit of advice. For the stepper e-stop circuit is it safer to kill the power supply and disable the drivers or would it be just as good to merely disable the drivers and leave the power supply on. I intend to use an ABB inverter with an e-stop input and the STO function which disables the output of the inverter but still leaves it powered on, which is a bit like disabling the stepper drives, but leaving them still powered on. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by NFryer View Post
    Hi everyone, I've not really had much spare time to get on with the build, but I have started to look into the control panel build, and I could do with a bit of advice. For the stepper e-stop circuit is it safer to kill the power supply and disable the drivers or would it be just as good to merely disable the drivers and leave the power supply on. I intend to use an ABB inverter with an e-stop input and the STO function which disables the output of the inverter but still leaves it powered on, which is a bit like disabling the stepper drives, but leaving them still powered on. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Leave the PSU on, no need to kill power.

I use a Pilz safety relay which is tripped by e-stop and by fault signals from stepper drivers (particularly if one of the dual X drive steppers stalls so the machine doesn't tear itself apart). The relay was a cheap "new but obsolete" one that cost £25 from eBay, which is the main reason I used one. However, it has multiple contact sets so I switch the stepper enable signal and the CSMIO motion controller e-stop signal (both of which should stop stepper movement almost instantaneously) and the stepper motor power supply mains input (which would stop steppers but not quite so immediately). One reason to switch the power is not so much for safety (although it was easy to do anyway) but to enable me to reset the stepper drivers in case one of them does go into fault condition. If a motor stalls (a rare event), I can reset by hitting e-stop and then resetting the machine. You need to consider how you would reset stepper drivers if they are configured to "fault" on error. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I use a Pilz safety relay which is tripped by e-stop and by fault signals from stepper drivers (particularly if one of the dual X drive steppers stalls so the machine doesn't tear itself apart). The relay was a cheap "new but obsolete" one that cost £25 from eBay, which is the main reason I used one. However, it has multiple contact sets so I switch the stepper enable signal and the CSMIO motion controller e-stop signal (both of which should stop stepper movement almost instantaneously) and the stepper motor power supply mains input (which would stop steppers but not quite so immediately). One reason to switch the power is not so much for safety (although it was easy to do anyway) but to enable me to reset the stepper drivers in case one of them does go into fault condition. If a motor stalls (a rare event), I can reset by hitting e-stop and then resetting the machine. You need to consider how you would reset stepper drivers if they are configured to "fault" on error. Just a thought.
    Hi Neale, thanks for the great reply. What you've described is roughly what I had in mind. I got a used Schmersal safety relay, and intend to use the outputs to stop the drivers and inverter, and signal the CSMIO controller. What I had missed was the fact that you needed to kill the power to the drivers to reset them after a fault or stall. I might just add a button to switch the driver contactor on and off to reset the drives and then reset the safety relay.

Hi Nick

The answer is for a DIY machine that you are the only user then it’s what you feel happy with.

My mk1 just used the estop pin on the breakout board and relied on that to stop sending stepper signals to the drivers and tell Mach3 to stop sending signals to the breakout board.
    Had no issues for years with that setup.

For mk2 or 3 (can’t remember!) I made a proper control box with a safer estop circuit and better overall functionality. I have a master relay (not a proper Pilz style but the same principle) that has multiple outputs and one of these drops power to the contactor which controls the linear psu. Other outputs drop the self latch and drop power to the spindle relay which controls the VFD run/stop logic signal and drops the estop pin connection on the breakout board so Mach 3 knows to stop. My drives don’t have stall detect etc so my only reason was a bit more piece of mind. I’m reusing most of this for the current mk4 with the main difference being that axis limit trips are going to be soft stop limit events and not part of the hard estop circuit. I think this last part on limit trips is Dean’s approach and having tried it out on one axis I agree with him.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

I think that I've got the control cabinet wiring sorted out. I'm using a Schmersal safety relay which can be triggered by the main E-Stop button, the stepper driver fault output, the inverter fault output and the E-Stop button on the MPG hand controller that I've got. Once triggered the signal is sent to the CSMIO controller, the stepper drivers are disabled and the inverter stops the spindle using the E-Stop ramp. A off time delay relay is used to allow the inverter to stop the spindle and then enable the STO function which disables the output of the inverter. To reset the stepper drivers I've included a switch in the PSU contactor coil circuit. A switch is used to also enable the inverter STO function when changing spindle bits to make sure there is no chance of the spindle starting. I intend to mount the control cabinet on the machine frame using some Paulstra anti vibration mounts. Also on the machine I will include a small control panel, with start, stop, pause, home and auto tool measurement buttons, along with green, red and yellow LED's for the start,stop and pause buttons.

First let me congratulate on an amazing build. Its amazing what many do with aluminium, basic hand tools and a little patience. I started designing a build (was all steel) but after spending a few hours with Clive its back to the drawing board for some re-jigging about. I thought I would need a mill to turn out the stuff many have done, but you have shown that's not the case, well done.

I was trying to work out some measurements from your design - is the gantry 90 x 45 heavy - and did you do an L shape pattern ? I think that's what quite a few have done - Heavy-Aluminium-Profile

I see you have put aluminium on the top of the x and y axis - is that 20mm cast aluminium?

Many thanks - and sorry for all the questions - I am just learning.

Mike
    Last edited by Hulksmash; 04-12-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information