. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Yes,
    I'm glad you ask, actually I answer lots of direct relevant questions with well thought out technical answers from people who aren't lazy clueless wakners who can't be bothered to carry out a basic Google search to see if there is a good answer just sitting there for them on the net.
    But I guess you are too lazy to search and discover that too!
    #SLACKER!
    ;-)
    What you mean is that you didn't have a clue what the answer is so you snipe instead. Lol. Go troll someone else. For the record, any question I ask on this forum is directed SPECIFICALLY NOT at you, so please ignore it. I am directing it at technically knowledgeable people who may or may not choose to help. Goodbye.
    Last edited by PaisleyPCdoctor; 17-12-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaisleyPCdoctor View Post
    ����What you mean is that you didn't have a clue what the answer is so you snipe instead. Lol. Go troll someone else. ������ For the record, any question I ask on this forum is directed SPECIFICALLY NOT at you, so please ignore it. I am directing it at technically knowledgeable people who may or may not choose to help. Goodbye.
    No,
    I mean you come across as someone who can't be bothered to do even basic research for yourself, even though very good answers are available to a fairly basic Google search which could be expected of any "PC Doctor".

For the record you can use your preferences to ignore my responses, making a bit of an effort would have the same effect ;-)

P.S. use of multiple question marks is not a good personality stability sign :D
    Last edited by magicniner; 17-12-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Magicniner,
    I honestly don't find any of your replies helpful at all,

I'm respectfully and hopefully asking for you to not respond to any of my posts. It's really easy- you literally don't have to do anything.

Please accept my apologies, I assumed that you had really basic access to Internet reference and the required brain power with which you could work out from the prolific use of Aluminium alloys in Aircraft that for a similar weight a suitable Aluminium Alloy can provide greater stiffness for a given weight than any Iron based Alloy.
    From there it should be a basic mathematical job to compare size and strength, and hey, if you're lazy then someone else might do the work for you:D

Magicniner,
    I honestly don't find any of your replies helpful at all,

I'm respectfully and hopefully asking for you to not respond to any of my posts. It's really easy- you literally don't have to do anything.
    Be willing to do some work for yourself, making an effort, even if you fail abysmally in your efforts, reads far better than wanting an answer for bugger-all effort.

And block me, unless you are going to make an effort, I will point out everywhere that you (and anyone else) is making no effort to resolve their own issues.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Please accept my apologies, I assumed that you had really basic access to Internet reference and the required brain power with which you could work out from the prolific use of Aluminium alloys in Aircraft that for a similar weight a suitable Aluminium Alloy can provide greater stiffness for a given weight than any Iron based Alloy.
    From there it should be a basic mathematical job to compare size and strength, and hey, if you're lazy then someone else might do the work for you:D
    Yes, I'm an uneducated, illiterate, retarded, deaf, blind, quadraplegic, emotionally unstable, little girly with serious mental health problems including hallucinations and psychosis. I have no Internet access and I'm banned from google for asking too many silly questions and overloading their servers (not easy as I have no Internet and my electricity was cut off when I was an infant and is still off).
    I frequently soil my pants and I'm a total burden on society due to my asylum status and unwillingness to work but still letting the nhs replace my heart and lungs and my liver twice.

Does that qualify me as a forum member you could manage to ignore and possibly even better, not dignify with responses?
    Last edited by PaisleyPCdoctor; 17-12-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Yes, I'm an uneducated, illiterate, retarded, deaf, blind, quadraplegic, emotionally unstable, little girly with serious mental health problems including hallucinations and psychosis. I have no Internet access and I'm banned from google for asking too many silly questions and overloading their servers (not easy as I have no Internet and my electricity was cut off when I was an infant and is still off).
    I frequently soil my pants and I'm a total burden on society due to my asylum status and unwillingness to work but still letting the nhs replace my heart and lungs and my liver twice.

Does that qualify me as a forum member you could manage to ignore and possibly even better, not dignify with responses?
    No, you can type, don't be lazy, learn how to block responses you don't want to see, this is a further demonstration of your lazy requirement for others to solve your problems! ;-)
    Asylum status is a Red Light, you're actually obviously an Illegal!
    If you're too lazy then you can ask other productive users on the forum to tell you how to block responses from someone you don't like!
    To be honest you are becoming mildly endearing, make an effort and I may come to love you! :D

The better A. is that it depends.

By mass the alu is 3x less rigid - and importantly it likes to ring and vibrate.
    But when you get the same mass in alu, it is thicker, and thickness scales pwr 3 or pwr 4 by section size.

Steel is == 3x better than alu, in rigidity for the same mass and == 3x cheaper by mass.
    Cast iron is cheaper than steel and nearly as rigid.
    But cast iron is 3x better than steel in vibration dampening, 10x better than alu.

There are effectively zero commercial machines using alu in any modern machine tool bodies, if they cut something via contact (vs laser/plasma etc.).

All modern machine tool bodies are thin-skinned stressed-skin structures. All.
    This means the frames are as big as possible, and very thin, and used ribs/preload/mass/anchors.
    Typical thickness is around 10 mm on cast iron machine bodies, in the centres, give or take.

An extreme example are modern optical tables.
    They are very very light, for what they do.
    They are very very rigid, for their work volume or free span length.

Typically, an optical table might be 40 cm thick for a 1 m table, and == 20x more rigid than the best japanese mazak/integrex mill-turn of similar size, or 200-400k$ cost for the mill turn.
    My numbers from tlar.

The optical table is two thin skins, and tubes inside.
    When I researched them they seemed to be mostly vertical-only tubes, sometimes with various goops/ballast/members/unicorn snot/magic.
    The guaranteed rigidity of optical tables is totally unbelievable.

My point.
    No-one uses alu.

Here is a data point - I use Thorlabs stuff for some things.
    They are a top-shelf supplier of excellent rep.

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppag...tgroup_id=9222

NOTE: !!!
    1.7 um / 150 kg load deflection (constraints).
    = 1500 N.
    882 N / um rigidity.

The best machine tools might do 30-100 N/um, or 8-24x worse.
    Iirc the industrial criteria for VMCs == 30N/um... on textbooks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hanermo2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo2 View Post
    The better A. is that it depends.

A better answer indeed, but an answer to a different question.
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 18-12-2017 at 12:35 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information