. .

Thread: 3d carvers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i was watching a youtube video and came across this and i thought i would ask how long it taken to machine and they said 10 hours which was made on a high spec machine, i then asked how much that piece was worth to see if that piece is worth the 10 hours of constant machining and he said 50$. How the bloody hell do these people survive because if i was to do 10 hours of constant cutting im pretty sure my electricity bill would be that let alone trying to sell it to make a living lol.

Here is the design

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	525.3 KB 
ID:	23430
    Last edited by reefy86; 18-12-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    i was watching a youtube video and came across this and i thought i would ask how long it taken to machine and they said 10 hours which was made on a high spec machine, i then asked how much that piece was worth to see if that piece is worth the 10 hours of constant machining and he said 50$. How the bloody hell do these people survive because if i was to do 10 hours of constant cutting im pretty sure my electricity bill would be that let alone trying to sell it to make a living lol.

Here is the design

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	525.3 KB 
ID:	23430
    I'm not buying that takes 10 hours to machine on a high end machine and what is a high end machine lol all sounds like jargon to me.

It's a nice carving but nothing special I'll have to see how long it takes me to machine something like that but I bet it's less than 10 hours even with my slow ass 1605 ballscrews lol
    Last edited by Desertboy; 18-12-2017 at 08:30 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Probably most CAM software gives an estimate of the cutting time once you have the geometry and toolpaths defined, I know for certain that CamBam does. This means an estimate can be obtained without actually cutting anything.
    Looking at the picture and the finish obtained, assuming that finish is right from the tool, I would say 10 hours is reasonable.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 18-12-2017 at 08:36 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Well when i say high end i mean it looks well built and using hiwin rails/ballscrews and all made of steel. here is the video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PMY...13612908295049

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Probably most CAM software gives an estimate of the cutting time once you have the geometry and toolpaths defined, I know for certain that CamBam does. This means an estimate can be obtained without actually cutting anything.
    Looking at the picture and the finish obtained, assuming that finish is right from the tool, I would say 10 hours is reasonable.
    How do they justify the costs though? its not something that concerns me because if i do something like this it will be for personal use but if it was to make a living then i'd be worried about selling these for £40-£50 when you have to consider electricity cost and even at £50 for 10 hours thats overtime for less then minimum wage.

Really this surprises me I saw 8 head machines at a factory in Lithuania eating carving like this in not a lot of time at all they would work on 8 individual (Clone) carvings at a time.

Scaring me because what I have planned is a damned site more complicated than these carvings lol.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 18-12-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Desertboy gave one answer, multiple head machines. 8 hours for 8 carvings = 1 hour per carving
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    Well when i say high end i mean it looks well built and using hiwin rails/ballscrews and all made of steel. here is the video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PMY...13612908295049
    Other than the steel, if you are thinking lower than those components for your own machine I would advise you to think again.

Desertboy gave one answer, multiple head machines. 8 hours for 8 carvings = 1 hour per carving
    would have to be some huge wide table then :)

Other than the steel, if you are thinking lower than those components for your own machine I would advise you to think again.
    i am also using hiwin rails and ball screws just not all steel as will be using aluminium extrusion for gantry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information