. .
    Hi All

I have a Sieg X2 mill converted to CNC and am just starting out on machining
    - Spindle speed 0 -2000 rpm
    - Not sure what feed rates I can go up to but it's a hobby machine
    - Max endmill size 16MM
    my main materials of choice will be Delrin and Acetal.

I just wanted advice on cutting speeds and feeds and also if I can get away with cutting dry. My research says that air blast is good for chip removal but I would prefer it if I can save the extra expense.

Also any advice on anything to do with machining the above is gratefully received

Thanks in advance :-)

Jools

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Start with similar speeds to Alu and go from there. With 2k rpm you will be very limited. With 16mm Id start around 500mm / min for a 10mm deep 1mm wide cut. Clear chips with air, delrin isnt difficult from what I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Start with similar speeds to Alu and go from there. With 2k rpm you will be very limited. With 16mm Id start around 500mm / min for a 10mm deep 1mm wide cut. Clear chips with air, delrin isnt difficult from what I recall.
    Yeah, pretty much what Chaz has said, I also have a 2000rpm spindle and usually cut delrin using cutters from 4mm up to 12 mm. I normally cut around 6mm depth @ 600mm/min. I never use coolant, or air blast for that matter, if needed I just follow the cutter around with the nozzle from the hoover

4. The Following User Says Thank You to needleworks For This Useful Post:

Air blast is better for getting chips out of slots and producing neater cuts, single flute end mills are fantastic in plastic where a deep slot is required.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try at the speeds you've said and see what results I get.

Thread Information