. .
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fer662 View Post
    I mean... Most of us end up spending way more than it'd have cost to just buy the machine done... It's a matter of pride in what you build at some point, and for some people aesthetics is a part of that.
    I agree completely, some machines are a work of art in themselves.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Ah, that's the problem with my machine! I never was very good at art. I only show my router to visitors wearing blindfolds, and who promise not to laugh...

Quote Originally Posted by fer662 View Post
    I've been hard at work with the CAD! Could I bother you for some measurements? Could you tell me how far apart you have the linear bearings for the same rail on each of the axis... Say.. Measuring from the outside of the blocks? (and if you're happy with the resulting rigidity)? It's the one area where I don't want to simply overdo it since you lose work area.
    X-Axis (dual, longest dimension, probably should be referred to as Y but I've long ago given up with that), ~280mm between the near edge of the first carriage to the far edge of the second (i.e the maximum possible dimension!). That was designed so that the spindle fell between the two.

Y-Axis (along the gantry) ~ 170mm. This mostly came out of wanting a 15cm wide Z axis plate and then having 1cm side plates.

Z-Axis ~205mm. This coincides with the height of the aluminium gantry profile, and the Y rails and carriages. The bottom one is placed as low as it can be without blocking the bolts on the lower Y carriage assembly plate, the top one is placed as far up before fouling the bolts on the upper one.

Totally appreciate the work area concern. Its one of the things that slightly frustrates me with this design is the work area is substantially smaller than the footprint - but hey. I'd recommend extending the rails at one (or both) ends if you can - If you extend rearward you can cut on the entirety of the bed, a slight forward extension would allow vertical clamping and working.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Ah, that's the problem with my machine! I never was very good at art. I only show my router to visitors wearing blindfolds, and who promise not to laugh...
    I can appreciate that. It was only shortly before I had to disassemble my machine for moving house that I finally replaced the plywood 'mock-up' Z axis with a real aluminium version. But then I always have been a fan of Heath Robinson.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyUK For This Useful Post:

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    That's wonderful, my sister would love one of those! I wonder what it would cost to send the parts from Tasmania to Walkden in time for her birthday? She'll be 70 next year.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    Had a weekend playing with the machine and finishing up a few bits.

Attachment 27441
    Like the idea of hiding steppers inside box. I designing similar machine and will pour granite into top frame and use heavy duty dampers between top frame and stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom J View Post
    Like the idea of hiding steppers inside box. I designing similar machine and will pour granite into top frame and use heavy duty dampers between top frame and stand.
    It seems to have worked well for me, but I did have concerns about the temperatures, so they're on the same watercooling loop as the spindle using some aluminium blocks wedged tightly up against them and a bit of thermal paste.

Hi Andy,

I'm converting an X3 mill to CNC and after reading your build log amongst others I've been 'borrowing' heavily from your router electronics and circuit design. Could you tell me what software you used to create your circuit diagram please? Also, I saw your capacitor holders and noted that you printed yours after buying the wrong ones - inspired me to get a 3d printer, they were my first job. Just made protective caps for the top too.

I'll put photos of the bits I've made for the mill over on my build log when I've got a little further.

many thanks and stay safe

Geoff

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information