Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21
    Hi All,

    Hard at work as ever, just about finished welding the frame and will be painting soon... I've also got the main gantry structure together, and have starting cutting the aluminium components to form the Y and Z carriages. Photos soon, I promise!!

    Quick question though - my linear rails on the gantry are collecting a bit of dust - whats the best way to clean and (oil?) them? Any recommendations for grease to flush the HGR20 carriages through with? And I need a grease gun... any advice appreciated.

    Thanks in advance folks!

  2. #22
    I'd clean and flush with oil then use some multipurpose lithium 2 grease as its quite cheap to buy, some links on it below :).

    Spec me some lube!

    Profiled rails - Installation guidelines and manufacturer comparison chart

    Lithium Grease 400g - Toolstation
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:37 PM.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

  4. #23
    Legend! Thankyou - Your forum searching foo is far superior to mine ;)

  5. #24
    Promised a couple of photos of the aluminium parts... so here we go - Don't judge my sloppyness too harshly ;)

    I've been using the printer at work to get drawings printed out as accurately as possible. I'm then using contact adhesive to attach them to the aluminium, which makes the drilling process a lot easier. The drawings get a little busy and unprofessional, but it helps when I'm checking how accurate the printout is to be able to quickly know what each relative dimension should be.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190117_203226.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	25537

    Oh my life - the counter bore cutters are amazing. I love these things.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190117_203154.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	323.8 KB 
ID:	25540

    So, after some bandsaw action, some broken drill bits, a screwed up aluminium part (try and spot whats asymmetrical!), and some other parts made, I finally got around to some rough first-time assembly this evening. The rails aren't perfect yet - they're dialed in to about 0.02mm from the surface of the Ali extrusion whilst I'm awaiting my precision straight edge which is back ordered, but the carriage went together like a dream, and runs nice and smoothly along them.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190317_205254.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	25536

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190317_205045.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	25538

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190317_204749.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	25539

  6. #25
    Looking good Andy,

    I and a few others I know print things out like this and it works quite well, if you set your printer to print at a 1:1 scale, it should print out "reasonably close" to true 1:1, then you can just measure what you get on the print out and adjust your printer settings accordingly, though I've never had to do this as its always been good enough.

    Great build keep up the good work !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. BUILD LOG: Build Log: 4'x4' Moving Gantry CNC Router
    By GeorgeW21 in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 20-01-2019, 09:33 AM
  2. BUILD LOG: Ar last!!! Started my Gantry 3-Axis CNC Build
    By MikeyC38 in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 16-06-2018, 11:29 PM
  3. Any sugestions how to build my gantry
    By masinecc in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20-09-2015, 05:17 PM
  4. BUILD LOG: 8x4 router build. Steel base & Aluminium gantry gantry
    By D-man in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 29-11-2014, 08:48 PM
  5. BUILD LOG: Flying Gantry Build Diary
    By geoff.sim in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29-05-2008, 02:53 AM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts