. .
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    The wife is happy! The CNC has produced something for her glass!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200229_220727.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	27465

Psstt... don't tell her that it would have probably been quicker on the table saw.....

Anyhow, very valuable day of learning. First cut was a V carve little sign. Very simple CAD and CAM in Vectric. Second cut was trying to get more serious making the above model, mostly to test the pathway through fusion. Unfortunately I didn't home the machine first, and the bastard had G28s hidden throughout... goodbye 4mm endmill and a few VFD fuses!! The item you see above is my 3rd ever cut with a little sanding. This is going to be a steep learning curve.....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyUK For This Useful Post:

TIP: Cut Air for the first few jobs until confident machine and Cam do as expected.!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    The wife is happy! The CNC has produced something for her glass!

Name:	20200229_220727.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	27465

Psstt... don't tell her that it would have probably been quicker on the table saw.....

Anyhow, very valuable day of learning. First cut was a V carve little sign. Very simple CAD and CAM in Vectric. Second cut was trying to get more serious making the above model, mostly to test the pathway through fusion. Unfortunately I didn't home the machine first, and the bastard had G28s hidden throughout... goodbye 4mm endmill and a few VFD fuses!! The item you see above is my 3rd ever cut with a little sanding. This is going to be a steep learning curve.....
    Nice one Andy - good to see actual cutting and know it's possible to get there in the end! Although if its a steep learning curve for you it'll be a mountain for me:)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CNCRY For This Useful Post:

Awesome work, I am glad to see you have finished with your machine.
    Enjoy your cnc mate!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickhofen For This Useful Post:

Interested how your machine is going Andy ? Managed to make anything in metal/ aluminium ? Photos :)

Machines going really well thanks - Haven't had an awful lot of time to dedicate to it recently (healthcare worker...) but having some fun when I do get the odd minute.

First thing was to add the temporary MDF bed, attach, level and surface it, along with tramming the spindle. Wish my spindle mount was a bit more conductive to that process, but hey ho, it works.

I've fitted my coolant mister with enhancements (thanks to Voicecoil) but haven't gotten around to any metals yet. All wood so far, got myself some birch ply for a project and have used it for a couple of other things too. I've got some composites on order which I'm looking forward to trying out too.

First thing was to make a quick and temporary control box - the random DIN rail with buttons hanging off was getting a little haphazard. Found an online CAD generator for the tabbed box of whatever size. I had to manually sharpen up those corners though, so it all got a bit rough! I tried using a compression bit, but hadn't got the first pass deep enough, hence the furry edges.

Name:	ctrl.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	27824 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	27825

Then I gained a new nephew - so clearly this needed more glass work and a frame. First try of 2-sided machining to create a pocket on the back for the glass plate to sit into.

Name:	frame.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	27826

I'm currently working on a project that I'll probably make a thread about once I'm happy with it... but here is a sneak peak:

Name:	project.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	27827

Any guesses?

That's my kind of control box!
    There are loads of designs for wooden joints that are designed not to have sharp corners so you can cut then on a CNC machine. Some nice examples at the link below. I've used the first, simple finger tenon design for some boxes.

I suspect you're building something inspired by David C Roy.

http://mkmra2.blogspot.com/2014/08/c...d-joinery.html
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:

I was ready to say that the project is one of those wheels for kids that they push them around the house and make a noise that drill your ears,but after that I think that this is not a wise man's choice to build something like that now that we stay home because of the pandemic!
    I am kidding,I do not know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    That's my kind of control box!
    There are loads of designs for wooden joints that are designed not to have sharp corners so you can cut then on a CNC machine. Some nice examples at the link below. I've used the first, simple finger tenon design for some boxes.

I suspect you're building something inspired by David C Roy.
    Thanks Kitwn, really helpful link! :)

Yep - got it in one, I suspected anyone into their wooden clocks would know.

Good to see you are getting some time at least and some real life creations Andy! I think I need to use mine for every birthday/xmas present for the next 10 years to recoup the cost:)
    What method did you use to tram the spindle?
    Interested in the coolant mister too for the future - don't think I saw that in your build log?
    Ryan

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information