. .
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Ok sounds good - let me see what I can do about the CAD model to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by fer662 View Post
    Oh, so you essentially welded the sides, then assembled the table with screws and taps, and then welded it together? was it mostly to prevent it from moving?
    What about the legs, did you solder anything below the open 80x80 tubes? I cannot bolt the table down to the floor because i have floor hitting and i'm sure i'll be unlucky enough to hit a hose with the drill. Probably won't be necessary as the table will weight a shit ton.
    Looking back over the photos in my thread, I can see why you thought it was just bolted. As it was my first time welding, I wasn't at all happy with how the process was going - I thought the welds were coming out pretty ugly and I had a number of "retries" grinding out bits that felt crappy and weak and doing them over again. As a result, I just didn't take many photos of the build during this stage, I was quite disheartened with it. It wasn't until I had something I was happy with (after lots of grinding, welding, regrinding, smoothing with some filler, sanding, then finally painting that I started taking photos of the frame again.

Lets start back here - October 2018, all the frame steels (bar one!) were cleaned up, tapped, bolted together into an assembly I was happy with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181027_133002.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	29093

I then turned the frame over, and started welding the caps on the bottom of the square tubing for the feet. I'd drilled and tapped these prior - but in hindsight I'd have welded a nut on the inside first to give more thickness to the thread. It was at this point I set my crotch on fire. ;)

Name:	IMG-20190106-WA0007~2.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	29096 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190106-WA0008.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	29094 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190106-WA0011.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	29095 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leg120190106_144402 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	29097 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leg220190106_144412 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	29098 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leg320190106_144407 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	29099 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leg420190106_144419 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	29100

By the end of the day I was quite happy with how it was sitting on its new feet. I'd also started preparing the steels for the adjustable height bed.

Name:	20190106_163037 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	678.5 KB 
ID:	29101

Then I started to tack weld the joints together all the way around, being sure to do one tack, then move around the machine to try and reduce distortion. Once that was done, I came back to each one in turn and gave it a full bead. Rinse and repeat.

I was so unhappy with it I literally don't have a picture of the frame until it was painted.... and even then I wasn't happy with the brush marks in the first coat, so that took a while to sort out!

Name:	20190411_204338 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	29102 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190627_194412 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	29103

Andy,
    That's a very informative and encouraging set of photographs. And a dire warning re starting fires in awkward places! I'll be reassembling my own machine in it's new home before long and a new welded base is going to be a major upgrade.

If I can produce something that looks that good (even with brush marks in the paint) I'll be well pleased.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    If I can produce something that looks that good (even with brush marks in the paint) I'll be well pleased.
    Thing is, now I'm using it, I've scratched and chipped the paintwork a number of times. I think I've given up trying to be precious! Still functional after all.... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    Thing is, now I'm using it, I've scratched and chipped the paintwork a number of times. I think I've given up trying to be precious! Still functional after all.... ;)
    With the machines I build looks plays a small part, mostly to help with the appeal to new users who tend to buy on looks rather than functionality. then I can educate them on what's required for good machine.
    On my own personal machines I have absolutely zero interest on how they look, infact, they look SOOOOO bad with wires and crap hanging off them from product testing or failed tests or just plain lazyness regards cleaning, (No lets be honest I've never cleaned it, occasional blow job if it;s lucky.) I wouldn't dream of ever showing them to anyone because if I did no one would ever buy a machine off me again...
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    Ok sounds good - let me see what I can do about the CAD model to help you out.

Looking back over the photos in my thread, I can see why you thought it was just bolted. As it was my first time welding, I wasn't at all happy with how the process was going - I thought the welds were coming out pretty ugly and I had a number of "retries" grinding out bits that felt crappy and weak and doing them over again. As a result, I just didn't take many photos of the build during this stage, I was quite disheartened with it. It wasn't until I had something I was happy with (after lots of grinding, welding, regrinding, smoothing with some filler, sanding, then finally painting that I started taking photos of the frame again.

Lets start back here - October 2018, all the frame steels (bar one!) were cleaned up, tapped, bolted together into an assembly I was happy with.

Name:	20181027_133002.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	29093

I then turned the frame over, and started welding the caps on the bottom of the square tubing for the feet. I'd drilled and tapped these prior - but in hindsight I'd have welded a nut on the inside first to give more thickness to the thread. It was at this point I set my crotch on fire. ;)

Name:	IMG-20190106-WA0007~2.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	29096 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190106-WA0008.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	29094 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190106-WA0011.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	29095 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leg120190106_144402 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	29097 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leg220190106_144412 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	29098 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leg320190106_144407 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	29099 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leg420190106_144419 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	29100

By the end of the day I was quite happy with how it was sitting on its new feet. I'd also started preparing the steels for the adjustable height bed.

Name:	20190106_163037 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	678.5 KB 
ID:	29101

Then I started to tack weld the joints together all the way around, being sure to do one tack, then move around the machine to try and reduce distortion. Once that was done, I came back to each one in turn and gave it a full bead. Rinse and repeat.

I was so unhappy with it I literally don't have a picture of the frame until it was painted.... and even then I wasn't happy with the brush marks in the first coat, so that took a while to sort out!

Name:	20190411_204338 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	29102 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190627_194412 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	29103
    These are going to be really useful. I appreciated it! I'll post my table on my own thread whenever I have time to start it.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,726. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    One of the most interesting things to do is have a look round someone else's workshop. One of the most embarrassing things is to show someone round your own...

As for paint - wossat? They don't have to look pretty to do a useful job.

Notice how the garage started off relatively empty, but quickly gets fuller and messier throughout the photos? Its only gotten worse.....

I've been hard at work with the CAD! Could I bother you for some measurements? Could you tell me how far apart you have the linear bearings for the same rail on each of the axis... Say.. Measuring from the outside of the blocks? (and if you're happy with the resulting rigidity)? It's the one area where I don't want to simply overdo it since you lose work area.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    With the machines I build looks plays a small part, mostly to help with the appeal to new users who tend to buy on looks rather than functionality. then I can educate them on what's required for good machine.
    On my own personal machines I have absolutely zero interest on how they look, infact, they look SOOOOO bad with wires and crap hanging off them from product testing or failed tests or just plain lazyness regards cleaning, (No lets be honest I've never cleaned it, occasional blow job if it;s lucky.) I wouldn't dream of ever showing them to anyone because if I did no one would ever buy a machine off me again...
    It's interesting to see how much effort different people put into making the parts of their machines look good. There's even one in the archive with beautiful red anodised parts that I would have just filed the sharp edges off and left at that.

For a professionally made product there is always the element of customer confidence. If the surface finish is poor how much care and attention did the manufacturer take over the bits that DO matter?
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    It's interesting to see how much effort different people put into making the parts of their machines look good. There's even one in the archive with beautiful red anodised parts that I would have just filed the sharp edges off and left at that.

For a professionally made product there is always the element of customer confidence. If the surface finish is poor how much care and attention did the manufacturer take over the bits that DO matter?
    I mean... Most of us end up spending way more than it'd have cost to just buy the machine done... It's a matter of pride in what you build at some point, and for some people aesthetics is a part of that.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information