. .
    Where is the best place to get stock aluminium for my cnc?

For building a CNC or CNC machining parts?
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    For building a CNC or CNC machining parts?
    Machining parts

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

It will depend how much you buy, what dimensions do you seek?

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    It will depend how much you buy, what dimensions do you seek?
    i have a few projects that i will need around 300mmx200mm 5mm thick and another i need about 50mm50mm 50mm thick. I also might buy some extra in for testing if its not too expensive.

My non-ferrous suppliers are industrial and most of what I order is full 3m or 5m lengths of bar stock or 4' x 8' sheets of sheet/plate, they will get 1/2 or 1/4 sheets of plate or sheet in to order for me but they don't do it for walk ins/non-repeat customers, it sounds like you need somewhere that does off-cuts.
    If you were closer I could probably sort you out from my personal stock but the drive would probably make it uneconomical and I don't post anything I haven't worked on,
    Regards,
    Nick

That sounds like offcuts for most suppliers. I have a small non-ferrous metal supplier near me that has as offcuts box - might be worth finding someone local and just dropping in, if you're not too fussy about sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by dfox1787 View Post
    i have a few projects that i will need around 300mmx200mm 5mm thick and another i need about 50mm50mm 50mm thick. I also might buy some extra in for testing if its not too expensive.
    Have you tried :- https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by dfox1787 View Post
    Hi,
    You're not going to get a Test Certificate for an offcut from a scrap bin - so unless you are confident about what you are getting then it may be better to buy something with provenance.

If you're going to machine it and not work it further then most of the Aluminium in the UK will do. If you are planning to weld it or anodise it then 6082T6 will be, most likely, what you will find most easily in the UK - and you should get plate or rectangular bar to fit your sizes. The 2000 series does not like being welded or anodised - I'm thinking 2024 or 2017 (Ok I read MEW too) - but it is stronger.

For the thin stuff perhaps someone may have an offcut or scrap plate of MIC 6 Cast Tooling plate - a lot gets sent back to the suppliers for scratches. It won't weld, it doesn't anodise - but it's ground flat and looks pretty, hence its use in small scale tooling projects. Other trade names apply.

When I go skip diving I know what's in the bins, and therefore what I'm getting. I'd hate to be in the position of having to make a load sensitive part like a footrest and not knowing what the material was.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Sliding Head View Post
    Hi,
    You're not going to get a Test Certificate for an offcut from a scrap bin - so unless you are confident about what you are getting then it may be better to buy something with provenance.

If you're going to machine it and not work it further then most of the Aluminium in the UK will do. If you are planning to weld it or anodise it then 6082T6 will be, most likely, what you will find most easily in the UK - and you should get plate or rectangular bar to fit your sizes. The 2000 series does not like being welded or anodised - I'm thinking 2024 or 2017 (Ok I read MEW too) - but it is stronger.

For the thin stuff perhaps someone may have an offcut or scrap plate of MIC 6 Cast Tooling plate - a lot gets sent back to the suppliers for scratches. It won't weld, it doesn't anodise - but it's ground flat and looks pretty, hence its use in small scale tooling projects. Other trade names apply.

When I go skip diving I know what's in the bins, and therefore what I'm getting. I'd hate to be in the position of having to make a load sensitive part like a footrest and not knowing what the material was.

Cheers
    Hi

Thank you for the info. I have made that mistake. I got some aluminum from a scrap bin and it melted so easily on some of my bits.

I've got a small off cut of 6081 I'm Going to machine once I'm happy with my setup.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Thread Information