. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Been practising some simulations in multiple different cad softwares such as fusion 360/artcam but the once thing i cannot do or find tutorials on how to do it is carve 3d hands on a rotary. i have seen maybe 2 at most on youtube of someone carving it with success but there is no guides on how they did it. here is what i am trying to simulate so if anyone has any tips i would really aprecia and i understand its going to take some skill to learn it.

edit.. seems the ones you can do it on are £500 a month subscription, the trial versions are standard and dont let you use the features so i am forced to either pay £500 a month to learn and probably find out its way to advanced for my needs or never try to begin with which is something i hate doing lol.

Last edited by reefy86; 25-12-2017 at 07:21 PM.

You can use an indexed 4th strategy rather than a rotary one, this will let you machine with the work fixed at multiple index angle intervals and access the entire part.
    You can do this on a 3-axis system by having multiple copies of your part rotated in CAD to the required index angles and generating a path for each, paste the code together and manually add your index angles between blocks of code.
    Ensure your clearance plane takes into account the rotating stock, it's easy to bust a cutter if the stock rotates and you haven't allowed for the corner height as it sweeps past! ;-)
    Last edited by magicniner; 26-12-2017 at 12:10 AM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

never knew this was possible thank you,

You do need to get your part on-axis in CAD so you can rotate it in CAD in a way which will match your stock rotation on your 4th axis, if you hit any walls give me a shout! ;-)
    Last edited by magicniner; 26-12-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    You can use an indexed 4th strategy rather than a rotary one, this will let you machine with the work fixed at multiple index angle intervals and access the entire part.
    You can do this on a 3-axis system by having multiple copies of your part rotated in CAD to the required index angles and generating a path for each, paste the code together and manually add your index angles between blocks of code.
    Ensure your clearance plane takes into account the rotating stock, it's easy to bust a cutter if the stock rotates and you haven't allowed for the corner height as it sweeps past! ;-)
    This is really interesting as I am looking to do the 4th axis indexing as well using Aspire V9, I have just built an indexer and constructed a stand alone control for it to be able to move from cnc to miller when needed.
    I am not looking to carve a hand but how you would construct the full code would be very interesting.

Phill

i will keep posted for anyone else interested because if i can figure it out then anyone can as i have no experience at all but i do love a challenge.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to reefy86 For This Useful Post:

is it possible to preview a gcode made from deskproto?

Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    is it possible to preview a gcode made from deskproto?
    Hi Reefy, I have been running with a demo of DeskProto today and it is producing a good Tap file but very large, so I have not got the tool-paths right yet some more testing required, I think it will do what you want and it's not too bad to learn.
    Download a copy put an STL into it and watch the video for the settings you need.

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    Hi Reefy, I have been running with a demo of DeskProto today and it is producing a good Tap file but very large, so I have not got the tool-paths right yet some more testing required, I think it will do what you want and it's not too bad to learn.
    Download a copy put an STL into it and watch the video for the settings you need.

Phill
    The use of STL models for CNC path creation could be part of your file size issue, the paths will be following the polygons which form the surface and there will be many of them ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    The use of STL models for CNC path creation could be part of your file size issue, the paths will be following the polygons which form the surface and there will be many of them ;-)
    Nick I don't want to high-jack Reefy's thread but looks like we are both thinking along the same lines here, what would you say would be the best format to use to produce either a hand or in my case a car if not an stl.

Phill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information