. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    This was a play project I originally done in Solidworks several years ago, then machined via CamBam.

The original SW file loads, but when I convert to T-splines, lots of the curves go the wrong way, so I end up with arcs opposite from where they should be, but cleaning it up gets the attached image.
    What I want to do is now transpose/extend that model so it forms that model on top of a flat base, but I've so far failed to find any good demonstrations of how to do it.

Anybody care to point me in the right direction?
    Or I can send the file if anybody wants to try it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PT.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	23479
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

I've managed this in BobCAD/CAM V25. The geometry looks good and clean

Name:	PumpTrack.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	23484

Regards,
    Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Fusion really isn't liking the file.
    Although Fusion will load and display the original file, the STP, and IGES versions perfectly, you can't do anything with them. You have to convert them to T-Spline models, but this is what you end up with -

Name:	PT_Fail.png 
Views:	287 
Size:	319.3 KB 
ID:	23485
    or Fusion crashing if you select certain options.

It's a bit of a poor show that several year old software will let you load and manipulate the file, yet something that's meant to be far more capable fails quite spectacularly.
    I'll remodel it when I get some time, as it'll be a good project to learn how the 3D tools work.

Sorry that wouldn't work for you :-(
    The circular ribbon was present in the file you sent me along with a couple of other artifacts, I had to unstitch the ribbon from the solid and delete it, I suspect the other grey artifacts were also present but were dealt with by BobCAD's cleanup tools.
    Althoug the CAD side isn't to everyone's taste, even in V25 Bob's CAM had some very powerful 2, 3 and 4 axis toolpath options,
    Regards,
    Nick

I'm an idiot at times.

Something I never tried was changing from Sculpt to Model mode, which means everything works how it should, and I can mirror the body and adjust proportions, with no need to convert to T-splines, which Sculpt mode relies on. I wrongly assumed that because Fusion opened the various file types in Sculpt mode, I had to use it.

As a further discovery, Mesh mode handles the STL fine, however it's got no option to mirror anything.

This is part of me seeing how capable Fusion 360 really is, but I'm still not sure I'd trust Autodesk with keeping all my files secure in their cloud. BobCad is the other option I'm considering, but it gets a bit pricey to get adaptive toolpaths, but at least it's not subscription based.

Good to hear you've got it sorted!

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 45 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I think this is the guy with the best fusion360 vids in my opinion. https://www.youtube.com/user/cadcams...able_polymer=1 I just like his style
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Now I'm wondering how to model it fusion :)
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    Now I'm wondering how to model it fusion :)
    Hardest part was the transition section. IIRC it was some variation of a Loft I used, but it took a good bit of tweaking to get something that looked reasonable. It still doesn't look 'right', but it's good enough for something that's purely decorative.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Hardest part was the transition section. IIRC it was some variation of a Loft I used, but it took a good bit of tweaking to get something that looked reasonable. It still doesn't look 'right', but it's good enough for something that's purely decorative.
    I played for a bit and never got very far lol but I just realised it's probably quite simple with plane along a path and some loft/extrudes but got to go out now will have another play when I come back.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 26-12-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information