. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Irving, the drivers I have / had were common off the shelf units purchased from Australia, they’ve worked well but are limited to 40v 2amps output and I ran one against this motor at 24v with the windings in series, I thought I may get something out of them.
    The reason for buying the bigger motor is to beef up what we already have and we like to experiment / learn.

John, many thanks for the info, it’s great to have positive confirmation of our needs.

2. Yes, but the term 'back-emf' is used to mean several things. Firstly, any motor creates a back-emf whcih resists the current that drives the motor and is a result of the changing, rotating, magnetic field - this is the voltage generated in the windings by the motion and would be apparent if the motor was driven by the inertial load (bad in a CNC machine because the load should be under control at all times!). Secondly, with a pulsed stepping current there is an induced voltage that occurs whenever the current is switched off and is a result of the magnetic field collapsing - it has nothing to do with the motion of the motor as the same back-emf is observed in relays and solenoids and ignition coils. It is the latter rather than the former that is the issue discussed above.

Quote Originally Posted by Garibaldi View Post
    On a different note.....Is everyone allowed gay themed avatar thingies or just the admin?
    We dont have any admins here with an avatar, your more then welcome to have your own :).
    .Me

You are correct, to meet the holding torque (the force required to force the motor from its current step to the next or cause slip - not good) will require in your example 2.73V across the parallel phase winding which will draw a steady 4.2A. The parallel coil resistance = 0.65 Ohms in this case. However, due to its inductance when switching, the current will not get to 4.2 Amps immediately, there is a time constant due to L and R and your driver source resistance combined. The torque produced is a function of the current not the applied voltage. At time 0 at switching there is no current flow at all so no torque but current quickly builds up over time to meet the 4.2 Amps at time = infinity, it follows an exponential curve. To accelerate the time to get to full current i.e. to achieve maximum torque in a much shorter time (which will allow your motor to go faster) the trick is to apply a much higher voltage to the windings. This will cause a faster ramp rate and the coil will get to full current in a much shorter time but current will carry on going up so the driver needs to measure the current and turn off the voltage when it gets to full current. Then the current will begin to decay but the driver then zapps it with another voltage pulse to get it back up to full current again and so on thus retaining the nominal 4.2 Amps. The PWM type driver does the same except that it follows a current profile as defined by the microstep look-up table and not the motor maximum current for every step. I can send you or link you to a brilliant application note which describes this much better than me here if you would like. It is on the Microchip web site under the stepper motor applications section if you can't wait for my reply.

Cheers, John

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 1113562 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Forget the 3Nm holding torque, it is not the holdiong torque that you need, it is the torque while moving.
    I've been saying that for years, it's the torque against speed graph that counts, the one with the voltage next to it :whistling:

OTOH why mess around? I used all sorts of stepper drivers until Gary came up with his 220VAC jobbies and I haven't looked back since. Just make sure your motors can handle the lowest amp setting and fit a griddle to one axis so you can cook breakfast whilst cutting. Oeufs a la swarf. Crunchy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information