. .
    Good evening one and all. Thank you for allowing me into such an informative forum.

I've been considering a CNC router for some years, and now I'm finally in the position to embark... I was going to buy a kit, but after reading nearly every discussion on this forum, I guess I might have to build one instead.

I have a design background, and some experience using CNC machines while working in schools, as well as some knowledge of Mach 3 etc, so I feel reasonably confident that I can make things work at the computer end. The Hardware is more worrying though. I know what I need the machine to do, and I have some friends who can help with any welding, electrics or precision engineering, but I would like advice from experienced CNC builders as to a plan/design and parts list, and an expected budget. I mainly make wooden jewellery but have some plans for larger items.

NEEDS
    - bed size of approx 300mm x 400mm (I can be a little flexible on this)
    - z axis travel of 60mm ish.
    - ability to carve fine detail (in mainly hardwoods) and occasionally cut out shapes from plywood (up to 12mm)

If anyone can offer any advice or links to self-builds that they feel would fit the bill will be gratefully received. I have perused some of the build logs, but its easy to end up off-topic when following the conversations.

Oh, and I'm based in Stockport!

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Hi Greg and welcome to the forum I am based about 3 miles from you and am happy if you want to pop over and have a look at my machine.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hi Clive.

Thank you for your quick reply and such a generous offer! I'd like that very much.

Can I ask what kind of machine you are running, and what kind of things you manufacture with it?

All the best

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Can I ask what kind of machine you are running, and what kind of things you manufacture with it?
    My router is about 1600x1000 I don't manufacture anything I do it just as a hobby but I have made a few smaller machines about 900x600 . I have a Myford S7 and a Warco mill that I have converted to cnc. I am based in Marple
    ..Clive

Fantastic. I'd absolutely love to see your set up, and I don't think I've even seen a DIY CNC build in the flesh before. And I'm always grateful getting advice and knowledge from someone who has experience.

I have a few customers in Marple for my other side line business - gardening, so we certainly are close to one another

Thanks again Clive

I have sent you a PM
    ..Clive

Thread Information