. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi guys,

Can you guys give me advice on 15 and 20mm toolingplate 7075 pricing?

Would 11 euros per kilo be about right?

I am about to order about 20 kg worth
    of tooling plate for z axis in 8 pieces

Grtz. Bert.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by driftspin View Post
    Hi guys,

Can you guys give me advice on 15 and 20mm toolingplate 7075 pricing?

Would 11 euros per kilo be about right?

I am about to order about 20 kg worth
    of tooling plate for z axis in 8 pieces

Grtz. Bert.

Where are you using the 15mm plate? Personally I use 20mm ecocast as it is generally a much better tolerance.
    https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk...BoCTnwQAvD_BwE
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Blimey - why 7075..? (I know, I know, strength... but really? 7075..? Heh - why not..!)

I buy in small quantities (nowhere near those thicknesses) and find that prices vary quite a bit amongst suppliers - I bought 5 x 4mm sheets (500x150mm) a while back from metalweb for around £100 but the last quote I had (from metalsupermarket) was £37.50 (+ 20%VAT) per 500x200x4mm sheet. Big difference, huh?

Recently I've been using these guys for my 6082: https://www.smithmetal.com/smiths-manchester.htm

(They're happy to supply smaller quantities, 6082 is available in sheet down to a thickness of 1mm, the depot is local-ish and prices are decent - what's not to like?)

You could give 'em a shout and see what they say.

Wal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Hi Wal Do you know how much a Kg. is about about, do they deliver. Also Happy New, Year catch up soon.
    ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Where are you using the 15mm plate? Personally I use 20mm ecocast as it is generally a much better tolerance.
    https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk...BoCTnwQAvD_BwE
    Dear Clive S,

15mm is for the plates that wrap around the gantry.

Since the Hiwin carriages are bolted very close to each other, not much deflexion is expected from these plates.

The vertical bearings are placed just between the horizontal carriages so minimal forces across a span, in contrast to the moving 20mm Z plate.

To gain room for the Z ballscrew i need 15mm extra height over 30mm rail and carriages so there will be 15mm plate mounting surface + 2 44x15 mm strips.
    I planned the strips on the gantry plate not the z axis

20mm is used for the vertical moving plate.
    Should i bold the 44x15 mm strip here instead? More rigid?

I tried to read up on different types of alu.

Modulus on 7075 looked much better.
    I am not gonna weld it up... Than 6061 6083 would be better right?

I am not sure someting like "ecocast" is available in The Netherlands. Would it be worth the shipping to NL?

Isnt 7075 flat enough? Or just far to expensive?

When one orders Toolingplate 7075... isnt the surface milled by default? like with the plastic foil on 1 side?

Don't know my way around all the DIN and EN codes..

Grtz. Bert

tried to read up on different types of alu.

Modulus on 7075 looked much better.
    I am not gonna weld it up... Than 6061 6083 would be better right?
    I am not sure someting like "ecocast" is available in The Netherlands. Would it be worth the shipping to NL?
    Isnt 7075 flat enough? Or just far to expensive?
    When one orders Toolingplate 7075... isnt the surface milled by default? like with the plastic foil on 1 side?
    Don't know my way around all the DIN and EN codes..
    I can't help with the above there are better people on here that will hopefully chime in. I am not an engineer

I have used (like a lot of people) 6082 and Ecocast for the Z axis with the Z axis plates being rebated for the ball nut.

p.s. I would keep all the questions in your build log to keep them in one place as its easier to keep track of what is going one.
    Last edited by Clive S; 03-01-2018 at 12:12 AM.
    ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    Blimey - why 7075..? (I know, I know, strength... but really? 7075..? Heh - why not..!)

I buy in small quantities (nowhere near those thicknesses) and find that prices vary quite a bit amongst suppliers - I bought 5 x 4mm sheets (500x150mm) a while back from metalweb for around £100 but the last quote I had (from metalsupermarket) was £37.50 (+ 20%VAT) per 500x200x4mm sheet. Big difference, huh?

Recently I've been using these guys for my 6082: https://www.smithmetal.com/smiths-manchester.htm

(They're happy to supply smaller quantities, 6082 is available in sheet down to a thickness of 1mm, the depot is local-ish and prices are decent - what's not to like?)

You could give 'em a shout and see what they say.

Wal.
    Hi Wal,

Best wishes to all on this great forum.

ot. I am not fully aware of commercial pricing.

Many companies in NL just do B2B.
    Since i am still private they will not take orders or do rfq.

Since these parts are to be my Y Z carriage mounting plates .. i do want at least half decent quality parts.

If these plates are to be 150 euros in 6082 or lower strenght and 180 in 7075 .. i rather spend 30 on 7075... it is the weakest link in my gantry..

I dont want to go to heavy so 50kg gantry is about max.. thinner is lighter... well you know... try to do not OTT and spend money where it matters most.

Grtz. Bert.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by driftspin View Post
    Hi Wal,

Best wishes to all on this great forum.

ot. I am not fully aware of commercial pricing.

Many companies in NL just do B2B.
    Since i am still private they will not take orders or do rfq.

Since these parts are to be my Y Z carriage mounting plates .. i do want at least half decent quality parts.

If these plates are to be 150 euros in 6082 or lower strenght and 180 in 7075 .. i rather spend 30 on 7075... it is the weakest link in my gantry..

I dont want to go to heavy so 50kg gantry is about max.. thinner is lighter... well you know... try to do not OTT and spend money where it matters most.

Grtz. Bert.

Hi Bert,

Totally understand your thinking for the sake of an extra thirty Euros... I've found 7075 to be quite a bit more expensive than the 6082 here in the UK, but hey - maybe I'm shopping in the wrong places!

In practical terms, it would be interesting to see how much difference to the strength using 7075 would make...

All the best!

Wal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Just ring any aluminium supplier in the Netherlands they will be able to supply tooling plate, it might not be called ecocast but tooling plate is available everywhere I got it in Lithuania in 10 minutes lol and UK 3 of the 4 suppliers in Leicester could get it next day that I rang.

None of the suppliers in Leicester had heard the brand name ecocast but they did know tooling plate, ground flat both sides.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 03-01-2018 at 09:45 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

..Clive

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information