. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    sorry i read it wrong lol i thought you said top but yeah i was thinking of a tap one aswel

assuming that all linear rails have the same spec because i am still unsure where to get the rails from yet but od will be 9.5mm and would need one with 4.2mm hole and 5mm hole. postage is fine mate just let me know how much you want in total.

really appreciate this :)

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Good call if Nick is up for it.
    I made one a while back for tapping and actually tapped the thread into the guide rather than a tap clearance hole. That way the tap is held straight and winds itself into the hole to start the thread. Works both ways so up to you.
    Mine was aluminium as I had it to hand and only needed a few holes. Silver steel is a better option for longevity.
    Thanks mate, just out of curiosity would one set made out of silver steel handle 500+ holes? if not then i may need to ask for a few if magic is up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Give me dimensions to work to for the OD of the boss to fit in the rail and the drill size you want to use in it and I'll make you one in hardened Silver Steel if you're OK to pay postage?
    Let me have dimensions if you want a drill guide.
    I'm afraid there is no room here for mission creep, I have a full order book and assumed you'd have dimensions ready for your request and that I'd fit it in this evening.
    If I wasn't offering to do this for the price of postage and was asked for a price I'd be telling anyone that if anyone, anywhere sells what you want then it would be cheaper than having me make a one-off.

For tapping get a bit of mirror or mirror polished steel with a hole in, if the reflected tap looks aligned with the actual tap it's at right angles, it's a really old fitters trick and works wherever you are, even under a machine.

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

5. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

OD is 9.5mm centre holes are 4.2mm and 5mm

cheers

I've made you a 4.2mm drill guide with 9.47mm OD to a shoulder in Hardened Silver Steel.
    As it isn't a delicate part it is hardened and not tempered so it will definitely last you your job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ReefysGuide.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	23562

For anyone not aware what goes into making such a simple little part the steps are as follows
    1. Buy or have stock of suitable material, in this case Silver Steel round bar
    2. Chuck it in the lathe and face the part
    3. Centre drill the hole
    4. Peck drill the hole to size, if you simply plunge drill it increases the chances of the hole deviating off centre.
    5. De-Burr the hole
    6. Turn the guide OD to a shoulder, making a small relief cut at the shoulder.
    7. De-Burr the edges where the face meets the shoulder and the shoulder meets the OD
    8. Part off to length
    9. Remove the stock from the chuck and mount the part reversed in the lathe
    10. Face the parted surface and de-burr the hole and outer edge.
    11. Take the part and heat to cherry red then plunge into cold water, agitating to speed cooling
    12. Dry the part and then back in the lathe both ways round to polish all surfaces

After that it just needs oiling, bagging and shipping, PM me your address and I'll post it with my next trip to the Post Office
    Last edited by magicniner; 08-01-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Finished Photo Added

8. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Very nice you forgot 13. Clean the lathe down, its all work
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Wow nice one mate can’t believe how helpful you guys on here are. I will pm you now

Cheers

Posted this afternoon, 1st Class Signed For.

Sorry mate didn't see this, i pm'd you for paypal details so can atleast cover postage cost mate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information