. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    There have been Chinese clones of Planet CNC hardware and Planet CNC don't support 3rd party hardware, their OEM hardware is clearly branded, before buying any software check with the software vendor that your hardware is compatible.
    Yes Nick, I did suggest that software was fit for the bin ! I wouldn't use it as it is unfamiliar to me. If I were to spend money, it would be on a Mach3 licence OR if I wanted to learn something new then I would try LinuxCNC.

Cheers,
    Rob

And may I be the first to wish you all a Happy Easter!

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Yes Nick, I did suggest that software was fit for the bin !
    Rob,
    I was just adding the missing info that if a license for that software were purchased it would be unsupported without Genuine Hardware ;-)
    Regards,
    Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

So was there a registration code included in the package ?

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    So was there a registration code included in the package ?
    It wouldn't matter as it would still be unsupported ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    It wouldn't matter as it would still be unsupported ;-)
    Yep Nick, but I was just wondering how much the vendor actually cared about whether his stuff worked.

very quick question, after installing the software that was supplied by the seller (USB CNC controller) and using the USB to LPT cable I was able to move the motors abet very slowly however I weren't too happy with the software and cable (it does seem to be a cheap clone and pirated software especially when I have an activation code that does not work and so stuck with a trial version) also it did not allow Mach3 to work either or register as an add-on (I may have not set this up right though...)

So to simplify things for me I am looking at using the old fashioned way of parallel port to parallel port connection between the pc and cnc machine for now then later invest in a UC100 and purchase the legit software.
    My question is this - both my pc (main board) and cnc machine are 25pin female connections, do I simply buy a 25pin male to male cable? or would I need a different setup as I found a parallel port 6040 on ebay and the cable supplied was a male to female connector?

It seemed so simple but when I researched this on the internet it seems everyone just forgets about this part and talk about setting up the pins or jumping straight from packaging to milling...

Buy a parallel port cable which fits your socket configuration, unless it happens to be cheaper to buy male to female and a gender changer, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Planet CNC USB Controllers have never worked with Mach3, according to Planet CNC Support -

http://forum.planet-cnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2246

I can't see it being different with clone hardware, unless the manufacturer has written a working Plug-In Mach 3 was only ever going to work with your current hardware using a parallel cable, fingers crossed ;-)

- Nick

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    My question is this - both my pc (main board) and cnc machine are 25pin female connections, do I simply buy a 25pin male to male cable? or would I need a different setup as I found a parallel port 6040 on ebay and the cable supplied was a male to female connector?
    A picture would help. Is this 25 pin (D25) on the back of the PC as quite often there is a D25 that is a serial port and not parallel. Or is it on the mother board? ie headers
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

If it's a serial port on the PC it will have visible pins (male), parallel ports on the PC have holes (female) ;-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Success I have finally made my PC talk to my CNC machine, I have brought a male to male LPT 25pin cable and the response is smooth.
    I will eventually invest in the USB converter devices that you mentioned but that's for another day when I have some spare cash.
    I've done a Youtube video as well for you all to laugh at as not done a Youtube video in years, showing my inexperience on the topic. https://youtu.be/KoGgAq6H0Ww
    now to buy mach3 and trial Vcarve.
    cheers all for your help I will pick your brains on other subjects sooner probably than later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information