. .
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    here is the link to the video

This sounds 'mechanical' to me. Does the noise always happen in the same places ?

It very much sounds mechanical so this is the first place to start.
    I would move Y-axis to one side and remove stepper and also remove bolts connecting ballnut to Y axis. Then slide Y axis across gantry to feel if binding on rails.
    Then rotate ball nut and ballscrew by hand to see if tight or sticking. Also, check for any axial movement of the ball screw in bearings. Should be none.

If both move freely with no floating in bearings etc then it's most likely an alignment issue with the ball screw.

Also just for reference don't mess around any more with Velocity. Just set it at say 1500 with 500 Acceleration and it should be fine for now. Can always find it's limit when know mechanical is ok.

Also check that you have the Jog percentage set to 100% because some of those movements looked slow.

These things are made by monkeys. Mine had all sorts of holes misaligned, drilled/tapped at angles etc. I spent a good while stripping it down and straightening it all out, which was a waste of time, because after a bit off cutting the bastard thing just vibrated out of square again.

Anyway, I had precisely the same issue. Mine was down to a crap PSU which eventually set itself on fire. My box was different and had 3 separate drivers, the spindle hooked up etc etc, but a new 48v PSU later and the whole thing was whizzing around without a hitch like a ferret on amphetamines.
    Last edited by Snapper; 31-01-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    the whole thing was whizzing around without a hitch like a ferret on amphetamines.
    Have you been looking at my new cnc designs ;)
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

here's a small test video of me checking the rails and ballscrew. Note - found almost no grease on anything

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Something about the ballscrew/bearings does sound a bit dry, but nothing I'd worry too much about. They don't actually need that much grease, as too much grease can be as bad as too little grease.

Did the parallel port (latency?) test pass OK?
    Those clunks could be cause by a glitch in the pulse stream, which is often something causing an interrupt on the computer. I'm going to assume you've done the basics, like ensure all non-essential software has been removed/disabled (that includes any anti-virus).
    I'd re-run the parallel port test, and see what results you get. Some hardware configurations are just not suited to running the parallel port for motion control.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Something about the ballscrew/bearings does sound a bit dry, but nothing I'd worry too much about. They don't actually need that much grease, as too much grease can be as bad as too little grease.

Did the parallel port (latency?) test pass OK?
    Those clunks could be cause by a glitch in the pulse stream, which is often something causing an interrupt on the computer. I'm going to assume you've done the basics, like ensure all non-essential software has been removed/disabled (that includes any anti-virus).
    I'd re-run the parallel port test, and see what results you get. Some hardware configurations are just not suited to running the parallel port for motion control.
    I have a core i7 running my machine with PP BOB

I had to use on the board graphics as my Nivdia GPU really didn't play well with linuxcnc & turn off hyperthreading then I started to get decent performance, you can also restrict the cores to improve latency.

Multicore and real time are not inclusive terms lol and 20+ years of trying to parallelise to cpu's don't lend themselves to out operation. I've seen more than once people cry out for the good old days of DOS lol.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 05-02-2018 at 01:07 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Just a quick experiment : Have you tried inhibiting micro-stepping (set micro stepping to 1) on the X/Y, retuning the motors and trying again? Be interesting to see if you're losing steps during the micro-stepping and the clunk is the rapid acceleration of the stepper to catch up on a higher-torque A/B coil step phase.

urgh this machine is doing my head in... really tempted to just scrap it all, been trying to find out what the Chinese charts actually mean on the board so I don't damage the board by doing something wrong.
    I initially was looking around at breakout boards and their reviews and discovered my breakout board has on board axis drivers as well so if I ever decide to replace it I have to buy stepper drivers as well.
    So was looking at the MX3660 which seems perfect (all in one, little hassle) just trying to find a seller and then thought I'm getting distracted again.
    I have on the board ("ON DP" K1, K2, K3, K4) accompanied with SW1, SW2 AND SW3 per X Y and Z drivers
    K3 and SW1 are the switches set for all three drivers
    I found a chart that may assist but still I know too little on this side as all I wanted was to make stuff with the machine.
    http://img.yunqudao.com/UploadFolder...ault/3_649.jpg
    is changing K3 to K1 what you mean Doddy to set the micro stepping?
    Also I'm going to do a test by taking the motors off of the frame and see if they still make the jarring noise when not attached to the rails, if they still do whilst disconnected then that should eliminate any frame/rail/ball-screw issues I presume and my guess would be either power or a faulty connections somewhere right?
    if the motors run smoothly and no jarring when loose then I pretty much scrap the frame? (take hammer to it)
    Also (sorry for all the questions) but how can I tell what PSU I have as the only sticker on it was all in Chinese?
    PS. the things I have done so far are the following:
    brought a standalone dedicated pc with XP and parallel cable for the cnc so no background extras or settings to interfere.
    tested multiple settings in Motor Tuning with all having same affect (all three axis jar at least twice and not always in the same area)
    tested the rails and alignment also checked the frame was square
    have not yet used the machine in any form or had the spindle on whilst testing the motors.
    I have not been able to switch the parallel cable with another yet as do not have a spare.
    would a UC100 connection solve issues between pc and control box IF it is a communication issue?
    (tired now but was trying to think all possibilities)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc charts and DIP[1].jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	391.9 KB 
ID:	23747  

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information