. .

Thread: Stock on facing

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi

hope someone can explain this to me.

i have a part that is 6mm in height. My stock is 6.45. i use a facing tool path that removes .45 making the stock 6mm in height.

I have a pocket that is only meant to remove 2mm but when i run the simulation its removing 2.45mm

Ive tried selecting the top height from the top of the model in the tool path settings but it still removes 2.45mm.

can anyone help?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture3.PNG 
Views:	379 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	23625

Name:	Capture4.PNG 
Views:	415 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	23626

Quote Originally Posted by dfox1787 View Post
    Hi

hope someone can explain this to me.

i have a part that is 6mm in height. My stock is 6.45. i use a facing tool path that removes .45 making the stock 6mm in height.

I have a pocket that is only meant to remove 2mm but when i run the simulation its removing 2.45mm

Ive tried selecting the top height from the top of the model in the tool path settings but it still removes 2.45mm.

can anyone help?

Name:	Capture3.PNG 
Views:	379 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	23625

Name:	Capture4.PNG 
Views:	415 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	23626
    If I were doing that part, I would make the last setting on the heights tab as "Bottom Height" From > Model Top, and the "Offset" as negative 2mm Not saying that's the correct way to do it, just how I would do it.

Is the top of your part Z zero?
    It's kind of an industrial standard thing that's worth working with until you know better ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Is the top of your part Z zero?
    It's kind of an industrial standard thing that's worth working with until you know better ;-)
    Yes the bottom left corner is set to zero. I can send you the file to have a look.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yes the bottom left corner is set to zero. I can send you the file to have a look.

This is confusing as magicniner asked "is the top of your part zero" and you said "yes" and then said left bottom corner is set to zero!!

The normal way to start is to use the top of the part as Zero and any movement below that becomes -ve
    Last edited by Clive S; 20-01-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    This is confusing as magicniner asked "is the top of your part zero" and you said "yes" and then said left bottom corner is set to zero!!

The normal way to start is to use the top of the part as Zero and any movement below that becomes -ve
    Well it's the top of the stock but in the corner. So it's still the top it's just I prefer my zero position in the corner.

Also the facing operating is removing the correct amount off the stock it looks like the pocket operation after isn't taking that into account.

Well it's the top of the stock but in the corner. So it's still the top it's just I prefer my zero position in the corner.
    Your Stock is not your Part, that kind of confusion will result in unexpected depths of cut when you incorrectly interpret the terminology in your CAM package :D

Your Stock is not your Part, that kind of confusion will result in unexpected depths of cut when you incorrectly interpret the terminology in your CAM package :D
    i know its not but ot shoudl take into account the stock is thicker than the part and the take .45mm off the pocket if the stock has been faced.

the first operating is a face to remove .45 and the next is a hole pocket and the operating after is to pocket 2mm not 2.45mm. On the simulation the z moves down to 2.45mm

http://a360.co/2mUUlN4
    Last edited by dfox1787; 20-01-2018 at 12:44 PM.

You are mixing things up and trying to make the CAM work the way you think it should.
    It's obvious that you are taking .45 off your stock but referencing your pocket depth as it would be from Top of Stock but your CAM is taking it from the actual Top of Part.
    Setting Top of Stock as Top of Part is the source of your issues, you'll have to work out how to juggle the numbers in CAM to deal with that, a spreadsheet would help in keeping track of the differences required ;-)
    Last edited by magicniner; 20-01-2018 at 01:00 PM.

You are mixing things up and trying to make the CAM work the way you think it should.
    It's obvious that you are taking .45 off your stock but referencing your pocket depth as it would be from Top of Stock but your CAM is taking it from Top of Part.
    Setting Top of Stock as Top of Part is the source of your issues, you'll have to work out how to juggle the numbers in CAM to deal with that, a spreadsheet would help in keeping track of the differences required ;-)
    thats correct. i would it expect it to know i already removed .45mm from the facing operation. I have to add a offset of -.45 for the tool path to start at the correct depth but it still pockets -2.45 which is going to make the the pocket deeper than it should be. At the moment the only way i can see is to leave it cutting nothing but it adds machining time. . To me it should know have took that into consideration.

Unless there is a setting im missing.

but if the fusion doesn't calculate it that it just adds more time for me creating paths. thank you for your response as always :)
    Last edited by dfox1787; 20-01-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information