. .

Thread: Stock on facing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fusion does appear to have better tooling operations so i am keen to understand it more and use it for future projects. i am still new to it but something as simple as removing some materiel and then start the cut from the depth i want seems impossible at the moment.
    This is one of the best places to learn Fusion360 https://www.youtube.com/user/cadcamstuff/playlists
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    This is one of the best places to learn Fusion360 https://www.youtube.com/user/cadcamstuff/playlists
    Got a link for people that don't like how it works, haven't read the manual or tutorials and expect it to be changed to suit them? :D
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,910. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Nick, in Fusion360, you can create a model, then use 2D toolpaths on that model by picking chains.

The only real benefit over using just a 2D drawing, is it allows you to see how the toolpaths are in relation to the model, which is handy for highlighting any issues (usually operator caused!). Regardless of 2D/3D toolpaths, you still have to ensure heights are correct for each toolpath, and you've set the part zero at the correct place.

Industry standard is you set Z zero on the surface and work downwards, but in Fusion you can set part Z zero wherever you want and adjust heights accordingly. If you're unsure about the heights, you should be able to go to a side view, and when altering any of the depths, they should be shown on the model.
    Not all the settings may make sense if you're unfamiliar with the settings though, as there are options to alter where the heights are relative to.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Nick, in Fusion360, you can create a model, then use 2D toolpaths on that model by picking chains.
    Once you've got the model there's little point, I was pointing out that simple outlines at Z zero would allow him to easily do what he was asking, unfortunately he wants the software modified to work with his ideas of how it should be! :D

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Industry standard is you set Z zero on the surface and work downwards, but in Fusion you can set part Z zero wherever you want and adjust heights accordingly. .
    Clarity is everything, Part Surface or Stock Surface?

In all decent modern CAM/CAM they can set Part Zero where they like, but unless they have good reason then by busking it before they can walk the inexperienced can end up on their butt by trying to run ;-)

Rules and conventions are there for those who don't know enough to do their own thing. Those who do know enough to do their own thing don't have to ask how to do it :D

EDIT - The OP hadn't even read the guide on the parameters and options on the paths he wanted to use? RTFM!
    Last edited by magicniner; 20-01-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Once you've got the model there's little point, I was pointing out that simple outlines at Z zero would allow him to easily do what he was asking, unfortunately he wants the software modified to work with his ideas of how it should be! :D
    That seems a little harsh. I don't think he was asking for software to be modified, and did accept that he might have missed a setting - not difficult with the plethora of settings in F360. In this case, I think it was as simple as not spotting that the top of cut was set referenced to stock top, not part top. I think he can be forgiven this as no-one else seemed to have spotted it either. At least F360 allows you to visualise the part, refer to contours, pockets, and other features by clicking on them, making them very visible, and then simulating the cut(s), and all without leaving the package. I've used a 2D drawing package (TurboCAD) and separate CAM application; I found it clumsy by comparison and more likely (for the beginner?) to make mistakes by making them visualise what they are doing rather than being able to double-check by seeing a 3D model on screen.

As for industry conventions - not easy unless you are actively working in the relevant industry and probably professionally trained into the bargain. As far as reference zeros, which way X and Y go, etc, I'm a firm believer that for an amateur working purely for themselves then only important convention is that you use a right-handed coordinate system with Z vertical. You can stick your zero where you like ! Seriously, doing a lot of woodwork on a router rather than mill, it makes a lot of sense sometimes to have the reference on the bed/spoilboard (less sensitivity to material height when doing full-depth profiling) and sometimes on the work surface when doing, say, engraving. I can't guarantee that the board material I buy will be sufficiently accurate from batch to batch that I could afford to assume consistency.

(Apologies to earlier posters - I managed to miss some early posts which did comment on using the correct reference plane for the second cut. However, an inexperienced F360 user seemed to need the specific parameter to be pointed out)
    Last edited by Neale; 21-01-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Thread Information