. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. i just got a denford for myself
    its fitted with control techniques lynx08 drive- not sprint.
    havnt checked fully but according to the manual its isolated on all inputs . (havnt confirmed with meter yet)
    problem is its unidirectional.
    was thinking it should be ok to tap down, un enable , reverse polarity with contactor and re enable to reverse,
    it looks like the tacho feed is fed into a bridge- so was hoping it would be ok running reverse. - anyone know?

anyway- thats preliminary thought. any wise men on here tried it?
    or would it be better to swap out the dc motor for ac and run it with vfd?

annoyingly i dont have 3 phase- so il be swapping out the old fanuc drives/motors anyway

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Are you sure your spindle only goes one way?
    I'm pretty sure mine had a reversing relay, but I've not got the wiring diagrams handy to check.

For rigid tapping, you need reasonably accurate spindle control, along with accurate positional feedback, which the original DC motor definitely doesn't, and I'd suspect a VFD may struggle to respond fast enough, plus you'd struggle to fit a normal AC motor.
    I fitted a 110 frame 1.25kw servo motor to mine, which involved making up a quite substantial adapter (I do have a thread on here with details/photos), as space is very limited.

I've still not got as far as trying rigid tapping, but that is one of the reasons I fitted the servo, instead of repairing/replacing the original motor and drive.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

3. theres no reversing contactor in mine. just forward run
    the spindle doesnt have to run accurately- just at rough speed required as the z axis will be geared to its encoder (which il have to add) - so will only start back out movement when the spindle is in reverse in a tapping cycle .
    i havnt had time to test the lynx drive fully yet- but its ready light is on !
    it does look a tight for space fit- was thinking mounting the motor high with a long shaft where the original motor is now if i have to use an ac servo instead.
    time for some testing.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You need accurate enough spindle control so that you can stop it within a reasonable tolerance, unless you plan on having a very wide tolerance on tapping depth.

To give you an idea of the space problem, this is a 110mm square plate which the servo motor bolts to on top of the spacer -

The spacer is high enough to get reasonable bearing spread between the two support bearings for the extension shaft, and a flexible coupler.
    I have a model of the Triac head casting in Fusion360 if you want to see what will work.
    IIRC you could probably get a 130 frame motor on, if you wanted a bit more power.

This post onwards covers the servo and the mount - http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10344...9732#post89732

6. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Got some tapmatic tapping heads for my triac, work a treat

8. The Following User Says Thank You to andy_con For This Useful Post:

9. as uccnc fully supports rigid tapping- and others are using it daily id like to add it to the triac.
    if i run into problems- il go with tapping head .
    to be fair with the amount of real paying work i have its going to be a while before the new "hobby machine" gets done.

Is it really worth the cost and effort, use threadmills

11. Does anyone have a spare encoder cable or just encoder plug for fanuc red cap
    Only required for test rig to set up my new drives.
    Terminal layout is different to most motors- pain!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4246.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	269.5 KB 
ID:	24244

12. Got the red caps running perfectly on step/ direction
    :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information