. .

Thread: cnc spoilboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    can anyone recommend what type of plastic would be bests for a spoil board?

My cnc has a high Z and at the moment im using 35mm thick mdf for my spoil board but ill need to mill aluminium with coolant and mdf swells.

I think plastic may be the way to go.

thank you

If you used an Aluminium plate you could shim it level and the work holding options world would be your oyster
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

its an option. it comes down to cost for me. i need about 360mm wide x 400 long. I though plastic would be a cheap option but for a hdpe sheet ti would be about £50.

This vid shows my z at its lowest with the longest end mill i have.

https://youtu.be/q54dzUFmQ0s

I bought an off-cut of 6mm Aluminium plate from my Non-Ferrous supplier, about 500 by 1800 for £25, hence my suggestion ;-)

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I bought an off-cut of 6mm Aluminium plate from my Non-Ferrous supplier, about 500 by 1800 for £25, hence my suggestion ;-)

- Nick
    thats really good. any chance i could have the details? I was going to t slot the plastic what would you recommend for fixing parts in place?

I'll have to decline as I cannot afford to upset one of my major suppliers, let me know what you want and I'll ask next time I'm in there, I regularly buy multiple full 3m or 5m lengths of Stainless and other Non-Ferrous materials and that's the reason I get invited to see and buy their off-cuts before they get weighed in, they have explicitly informed me that they don't want to see Model Engineers and other "bitsa" customers,
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I'll have to decline as I cannot afford to upset one of my major suppliers, let me know what you want and I'll ask next time I'm in there, I regularly buy multiple full 3m or 5m lengths of Stainless and other Non-Ferrous materials and that's the reason I get invited to see and buy their off-cuts before they get weighed in, they have explicitly informed me that they don't want to see Model Engineers and other "bitsa" customers,
    Regards,
    Nick
    no worries. 360mm x 370mm it what im after.

whats the difference between flat bar and sheet. sheet is cheaper would that be ok for spoilboard? ive seen some 10mm thick
    Last edited by dfox1787; 25-01-2018 at 04:45 PM.

10mm steel should be fine if your chassis will take the weight, what you call it depends on dimensions and different manufacturers may have different transition dimensions between Flat Bar and Plate with a possible transition through Strip at the thinner end of the thickness range ;-)

I buy trespa for my spoil boards got 5 off 300x200 and 1 off 500x400 for £50 12mm thick if I recall.

Best spoilboard for me is the paper filled phenolic board. All other plastics drink watter and change shape. On top of steel, if possible.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information