. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Anyone running SimCNC? Just tried it, spent ages on it. Axis were drifting on their own, solved that with Zero offset. But I cannot PID tune and all I get are motors that shake and PID error.

Thoughts?

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Ok, got it to work.

The PID values in Mach 3 are not nearly transferable, wiped them to zero, enabled the drive, disabled commands to it, ran auto tune for all 3 axis.

What's strange at the moment is the fact that I cant run a programme whilst the MPG is enabled.

Turns out that the MPG should not have its enable signal hardware but should be switched. Odd setup I think.

I cant find any info on how / where to do any backlash settings.

Nice looking software, seems decent but feels somewhat unfinished.

A pity. I can see me moving this machine to Centroid Acorn at some point.

Chaz have you used simcnc any more since your last post here? I've got a mill which came with an unfinished csmio-ip/a retrofit, I'm wondering whether to keep it or swap it out, you're the only person here who seems to have tried sim... any further thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_p View Post
    Chaz have you used simcnc any more since your last post here? I've got a mill which came with an unfinished csmio-ip/a retrofit, I'm wondering whether to keep it or swap it out, you're the only person here who seems to have tried sim... any further thoughts?
    Hi. I used it a bit. If I owned a license, I reckon I would have stayed using it. It feels more stable / accomplished than Mach 3. Currently using Mach 4 as there was no cost to me for it. Just rewiring my machine at the moment in preparation for a potential house move, so will start to use the machine more once that is done.

It seems like a decent bit of software. My biggest concern (ignoring the additional cost) is lack of support / few people use it. So if you want to solve an issue or get a macro sorted, you might struggle. CS Labs themselves will respond but I find it takes long and then they often only answer some or a few questions and ignore the rest.

They have some basic macro guides - think based on Python, need to check, but not a lot more.

Whereas if you look at Centroid, you will see an excess of documentation and active users helping each other - I dont see this in the CS Labs ecosystem.

Hi all.
    I have been trying to find information about the CSlabs software and found this thread and thought I would revive it to see if anything else has happened in the last 9 months.

Sorry to bring an old thread back from the dead. But, I was wondering if anyone had started to use this software as I am thinking about jumping from Mach3 to sim cnc. I was looking at upgrading to Mach 4 but I have not heard great things about it and that CSL were not fixing bugs as quickly as they once did.

Same, I was fortunate to get a copy of Mach 4 at no cost (legally) but not used my machine much (we have moved, new workshop being built) to know. From a bit of use, Mach 4 worked OK however its not a popular choice either.

I have decided to try Sim CNC on my mill but sadly failed at the first hurdle which was when you open the software my IPA controller doesn't show up. Very disappointed as I even did my homework by reading the Sim CNC quick start guide last night. I have just messaged CSL and when I get this sorted I will come back with any updates.
    I am quite happy with the look of Sim CNC and as Mach 4 has some issues I thought why not give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Eatonm62 View Post
    I have decided to try Sim CNC on my mill but sadly failed at the first hurdle which was when you open the software my IPA controller doesn't show up. Very disappointed as I even did my homework by reading the Sim CNC quick start guide last night. I have just messaged CSL and when I get this sorted I will come back with any updates.
    I am quite happy with the look of Sim CNC and as Mach 4 has some issues I thought why not give it a go.
    I had similar issues. After a lot of restarts and firmware flashing it was detected but it wasnt a great start either.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information