Thread: Screws

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Anyone know where I can get some of the screws that hold the spindle together? Two of mine have rounded off.



    Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    If they're standard M4's then toolstation or screwfix look for machine screws. You can change the end to a standard posi screw.

    Or you can by M4 A2 bolts off ebay.

    Rounding off M4's is the Bane of my router build lol I have over 120 in my build it's a PITA, M5 are a lot stronger.

    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p45378?table=no

    This one would need cutting down 5mm but you'll find right length on ebay.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 01-02-2018 at 05:57 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

    If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

  3. #3
    If they're standard M4's then toolstation or screwfix look for machine screws. You can change the end to a standard posi screw.

    Or you can by M4 A2 bolts off ebay.
    They look more like self tappers to me pretty sure they are not M4
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

  4. They're self tapping screws designed for plastic, but I've no idea where you'd find a suitable replacement.
    Normal self tappers could work, but as they've got thicker threads, the extra thickness/pressure can cause the plastic to split.

    Personally, looking at the photo, I'd find a good torx bit the correct size, tap it in with a hammer, and re-use the screws, as the damage doesn't look that bad.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    They're self tapping screws designed for plastic, but I've no idea where you'd find a suitable replacement.
    Normal self tappers could work, but as they've got thicker threads, the extra thickness/pressure can cause the plastic to split.

    Personally, looking at the photo, I'd find a good torx bit the correct size, tap it in with a hammer, and re-use the screws, as the damage doesn't look that bad.
    Unfortunately this one is the good one. The screw that was rounded off had to have the head drilled off. Who ever had the spindle before me hadn't used the correct tool to take the screws out.

    I've found a company online called accugroup who helped me out and are sending me some screws out.

    I did contact kress for a quote for some replacements and also for some other parts but it has been a week and I've had nothing back. I guess I'll not be buying another kress spindle.



    Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dfox1787; 02-02-2018 at 09:53 AM.

  6. #6
    You can get threaded inserts for plastic if there is enough material to support it that would allow you to use a proper screw
    Mike

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    You can get threaded inserts for plastic if there is enough material to support it that would allow you to use a proper screw
    Mike
    not sure if this would work to fix the kress spindle back together.

  8. #8
    The Kress part no is KT 4X23 (pack of 4) http://spareparts.kress-elektrik.de/en/catalogue/ - that is for the 1050 FME-1, probably the same on all Kress Spindles
    Last edited by cropwell; 04-02-2018 at 12:08 AM.
    Albert Einstein may have been a genius, but his brother Frank, was a monster

    Having just moved to Windows 10 (which is crap) My stress levels are through the roof !!!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    The Kress part no is KT 4X23 (pack of 4) http://spareparts.kress-elektrik.de/en/catalogue/ - that is for the 1050 FME-1, probably the same on all Kress Spindles
    Yeah I know I emailed them twice and got no response so I bought some off the company I mentioned.

    Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by dfox1787 View Post
    Yeah I know I emailed them twice and got no response so I bought some off the company I mentioned.

    Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    It's a sod when companies can't be arsed with the end customer. Karma comes around though and people will buy other makes if their service reputation goes down the pan. Pity, Kress are good quality.
    Albert Einstein may have been a genius, but his brother Frank, was a monster

    Having just moved to Windows 10 (which is crap) My stress levels are through the roof !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. have you put ball screws on an X2plus?
    By bmbaz in forum Milling Machines, Builds & Conversions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-05-2014, 05:56 PM
  2. buying ball screws
    By bmbaz in forum Marketplace Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2014, 02:57 PM
  3. How to pre load screws
    By graham4877 in forum Lead Screws, Nuts & Supports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14-08-2012, 10:07 AM
  4. Ballscrews v. acme screws
    By russell in forum Lead Screws, Nuts & Supports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 25-10-2011, 06:46 PM
  5. Fitting new screws
    By Robin Hewitt in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-02-2009, 08:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •