. .

Thread: Screws

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anyone know where I can get some of the screws that hold the spindle together? Two of mine have rounded off.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

If they're standard M4's then toolstation or screwfix look for machine screws. You can change the end to a standard posi screw.

Or you can by M4 A2 bolts off ebay.

Rounding off M4's is the Bane of my router build lol I have over 120 in my build it's a PITA, M5 are a lot stronger.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p45378?table=no

This one would need cutting down 5mm but you'll find right length on ebay.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 01-02-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    If they're standard M4's then toolstation or screwfix look for machine screws. You can change the end to a standard posi screw.

Or you can by M4 A2 bolts off ebay.
    They look more like self tappers to me pretty sure they are not M4
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    They're self tapping screws designed for plastic, but I've no idea where you'd find a suitable replacement.
    Normal self tappers could work, but as they've got thicker threads, the extra thickness/pressure can cause the plastic to split.

Personally, looking at the photo, I'd find a good torx bit the correct size, tap it in with a hammer, and re-use the screws, as the damage doesn't look that bad.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    They're self tapping screws designed for plastic, but I've no idea where you'd find a suitable replacement.
    Normal self tappers could work, but as they've got thicker threads, the extra thickness/pressure can cause the plastic to split.

Personally, looking at the photo, I'd find a good torx bit the correct size, tap it in with a hammer, and re-use the screws, as the damage doesn't look that bad.
    Unfortunately this one is the good one. The screw that was rounded off had to have the head drilled off. Who ever had the spindle before me hadn't used the correct tool to take the screws out.

I've found a company online called accugroup who helped me out and are sending me some screws out.

I did contact kress for a quote for some replacements and also for some other parts but it has been a week and I've had nothing back. I guess I'll not be buying another kress spindle.

Last edited by dfox1787; 02-02-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    You can get threaded inserts for plastic if there is enough material to support it that would allow you to use a proper screw
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    You can get threaded inserts for plastic if there is enough material to support it that would allow you to use a proper screw
    Mike
    not sure if this would work to fix the kress spindle back together.

The Kress part no is KT 4X23 (pack of 4) http://spareparts.kress-elektrik.de/en/catalogue/ - that is for the 1050 FME-1, probably the same on all Kress Spindles
    Last edited by cropwell; 04-02-2018 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    The Kress part no is KT 4X23 (pack of 4) http://spareparts.kress-elektrik.de/en/catalogue/ - that is for the 1050 FME-1, probably the same on all Kress Spindles
    Yeah I know I emailed them twice and got no response so I bought some off the company I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by dfox1787 View Post
    Yeah I know I emailed them twice and got no response so I bought some off the company I mentioned.

It's a sod when companies can't be arsed with the end customer. Karma comes around though and people will buy other makes if their service reputation goes down the pan. Pity, Kress are good quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information