. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    As much as I respect what our local Skyfire agent is doing, I dont see this as massively different from the Tormach offering (if you ignore local support / distribution).

Looks like a more solid and well rounded machine will be in order (and something that doesnt run Mach 3 / 4).

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    This company has always intrigued me:

http://ajax-mach.co.uk/cnc_milling_index.htm

There's a distributor literally 300 metres down the road from me - unfortunately I don't think they're open to Joe Public dropping in for a mooch... They do have the odd open day:

Here's another vid that gives you a closer look at one of their centres:

Wal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    As much as I respect what our local Skyfire agent is doing, I dont see this as massively different from the Tormach offering (if you ignore local support / distribution).

Looks like a more solid and well rounded machine will be in order (and something that doesn't run Mach 3 / 4).
    Agree 100% and the price is ridiculous for what you get.!!.. Come on ATC that doesn't keep track of tools or know where it's at..That's poor considering price.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Agree 100% and the price is ridiculous for what you get.!!.. Come on ATC that doesn't keep track of tools or know where it's at..That's poor considering price.
    Not massively different, except for the fact that it runs servos, can do rigid tapping, has Hiwin rails all round and would run on a stand alone controller. Of course the option of proper tooling on a BT30 taper is not something to sniff at right?

As for ridiculous for price? It is about the same as importing a fully featured Tormach

I agree that the ATC would need a few more sensors.

The Skyfire SVM-2VMC however would be a bit too small for what the OP is looking for.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    Not massively different, except for the fact that it runs servos, can do rigid tapping, has Hiwin rails all round and would run on a stand alone controller. Of course the option of proper tooling on a BT30 taper is not something to sniff at right?

As for ridiculous for price? It is about the same as importing a fully featured Tormach
    Tormach is ridiculous prices as well so yes agree. However, it doesn't look to be heavily built as Tormach PNC1100 and less travels.

Personally think I'd prefer LCNC and Mesa cards to a cheap standalone controller with limited features, far more flexible and larger screen etc plus easier to replace when faulty. If it was Siemens or Heidenhain controller then yes would be good.

Regards Servo's and spindle etc then it's no big deal really. Servo's are coming down in price all the time. Plus are servo's really needed for mill this lightly built.? Good stepper system coupled to decent ballscrews will more than match the accuracy/tolerences of machine this lightly built could hold.

Same with Spindles, even ATC spindles with direct drive motors BT30 and 18000rpm 5.5Kw or more are not ridiculous money.
    I also noticed while watching a video of tool change just how poorly set the spindle servo was. The settle time for spindle orientation was massive.
    Then when considering the machine is too weak for any serious metal removal and really it's limited mostly to aluminum. Also got to consider with only 8000rpm this is still too slow for decent aluminum work, so really it is poorly spec'd machine in reality

So sorry but this is my view off this machine which to me is overpriced and under built. £16,500 (and that's starting at.) is lot of money and your still got machine which is lacking in most areas. Can't do steel very well, can't do Aluminium very well.

To me it only just makes High spec Hobby or at best very light duty industrial. With £16.5K anyone could convert manual mill into machine that would pummel this into the ground. Ek give £16.5k and I'd build from scratch something that would knock spots of it.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 09-02-2018 at 04:13 PM.

What could you build for £16.5k? In a similar footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    What could you build for £16.5k? In a similar footprint.
    I'm mindful here of straying off topic or high jacking this thread so I'll keep short as pos.!!

What do you think that machine is under all that tin plate that takes up 1500x1000mm of space.?

Its bloody medium sized benchtop mounted Mill but nowhere near as complicated in construction because basically it's 2 cast iron pieces with machined surfaces for linear rails and bolted together.(Was tempted to say ground surfaces but doubt they are.?)

You don't have to try hard to beat that with Budget of £16.5k and footprint that size. To say what I would or could build would take too long and is irrelevant really to this thread. But if you or anyone else are serious contact me and I'll discuss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information