. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi
    I have bought a kit with a Nema24 motor and driver M542T and a MPG wheel and 36v power supply in an attempt to learn how I can use steppermotors for different things. I am not an complete newbie to electronics but many components I do not know how works, so not to burn of my new gismos I have some questions.
    I do not want to use them in CNC machines but just to move things in a precise distance, like the Z axis on my milling machine (fitted with DRO) with the least amount of components and without the use of CNC software.
    And here is my question. In the manual for the driver M542T it says that it can accept Line Driver Signals on Pul and Dir ports and I found on the internet a Tosoku MPG with 6 connectors like the one I have, so am I supposed to connect my MPG to the driver (I hope you can see the the writing on the MPG) like this, on MPG A to driver PUL+, MPG A (with line over) to driver PUL-, on MPG B to driver DIR+, and on MPG B (with a line over) to driver DIR-.
    I this is correct and working, then my next question is, is it possible to multiply the signals from my MPG like remote MPG pendants for CNC machines with a switch for x1, x100 and x1000 so that x1 is my MPG without multiplying and a switch that switches my MPG signal over to 2 gizmos for x100 and x1000 if you know what I mean.
    Kind regards
    Steppernewbie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M542T-text.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	23759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2735_1_1.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	23758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2731_1_1.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	23756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2734_1_1.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	23757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tosoku-re45b.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	23760  
    Last edited by steppernewbie; 14-02-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Sadly for you the free version of Mach3 will do exactly what you want through the MDI interface but you're dead against CNC software.
    Good day,
    Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Hi magicniner
    Maby I should not have asked, Sorry for treading on some CNC toes
    I am not dead against CNC software, my machine (Optimum MB4) is just not a CNC machine, and if you google DIY Motor for my Z axis or something like that, you will find all kinds of solutions for my type of machine with hand cranked Z axis where the DRO is installed and also a quill), I just would like a motorized precise way of operating my Z axis (if possible) with locked quill, because using the quill is just introducing another wobbly factor to a not already super sturdy machine.
    Forgot to say that hand cranking the Z axis is difficult for me because of fycical challenges, I got a motor on it already but I cant stop it percisely where I want.
    Kind regards
    Steppernewbie
    Last edited by steppernewbie; 13-02-2018 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steppernewbie View Post
    I got a motor on it already but I cant stop it percisely where I want.
    I'll let someone else explain how to run and stop a stepper motor precisely where you want, but you won't like it :D
    Last edited by magicniner; 13-02-2018 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Replacing Exactly with the correct spelling of Precisely

I was hoping I could run and stop (control) it with my MPG, but if the answer to my first question about connecting the MPG to the driver, is that it canīt be connected, then I maby have a cheap stepper kit for sale.

You can connect an MPG to a Motion Controller, there may be drivers that will accept an MPG but exactly how did you expect to set/program a stop point with an MPG and no programming?
    You do know what MPG stands for?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    If all you want is to move the Z axis manually via the MPG and driver/motor, then what you're looking for is a step multiplier.
    It's not something I've looked at for quite some time, but the easiest option is to probably just program an Arduino for the task. Count the pulses from the MPG, then multiply by X and output them.

As for the line driver signals, just connect the - to gnd on the driver, and leave the _ terminals on the MPG disconnected. For something this simple, I wouldn't bother using line drivers, as it'll just add an extra layer of complexity for no practical gain.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Hi m_c
    Thank you for your answer.
    If my MPG (Answer to magicniner : A Manual Pulse Generator is a device that is able to start a steppermotor when turned and stop the motor when stopped turning it, via a driver like my M542T as far as I know but maby I am wrong) is a line driver version having 6 terminals as the Tosoku version, and not a version with only 4 terminals, can I then use it with the 0V connected to the drivers PUL- and DIR- and A to PUL+ and B to DIR+.
    Will MPG A to driver PUL+, MPG A (with line over) to driver PUL-, on MPG B to driver DIR+, and on MPG B (with a line over) to driver DIR- not work, is that not what they say in the manual for the M542T, there is diagrams for connections to driver with common anode and common catode in the manual but no diagram for line driver,
    and then maby have 2 pulse generators, I have seen some that goes from 1hz-10khz with manualy operated start/stop and direction that gives me the x100 and x1000,
    theese connected along with my MPG and selected via a switch with 3 settings, step 1 for operating with my MPG, and step 2 for the slow continous speed and step 3 for the high continous speed, so I dont have to learn how to program Arduino.
    I uploaded pictures of my items and screenshots of manuals, can you see them ? I cant see them now I think of it. they where visible in the preview.
    Kind regards
    Steppernewbie

Quote Originally Posted by steppernewbie View Post
    Hi m_c
    Thank you for your answer.
    If my MPG (Answer to magicniner : A Manual Pulse Generator is a device that is able to start a steppermotor when turned and stop the motor when stopped turning it, via a driver like my M542T as far as I know but maby I am wrong) is a line driver version having 6 terminals as the Tosoku version, and not a version with only 4 terminals, can I then use it with the 0V connected to the drivers PUL- and DIR- and A to PUL+ and B to DIR+.
    Will MPG A to driver PUL+, MPG A (with line over) to driver PUL-, on MPG B to driver DIR+, and on MPG B (with a line over) to driver DIR- not work, is that not what they say in the manual for the M542T, there is diagrams for connections to driver with common anode and common catode in the manual but no diagram for line driver,
    and then maby have 2 pulse generators, I have seen some that goes from 1hz-10khz with manualy operated start/stop and direction that gives me the x100 and x1000,
    theese connected along with my MPG and selected via a switch with 3 settings, step 1 for operating with my MPG, and step 2 for the slow continous speed and step 3 for the high continous speed, so I dont have to learn how to program Arduino.
    I uploaded pictures of my items and screenshots of manuals, can you see them ? I cant see them now I think of it. they where visible in the preview.
    Kind regards
    Steppernewbie
    You have a few issues here, and unfortunately we do not have enough information to answer all your questions. I'll start with a few basics, in case you do not know these things already.

The stepper driver has three inputs (two terminals per input). These are step, direction and enable. Ignore "enable" - if you do not connect anything to this, the driver defaults to enabled anyway. The "direction" input does not need pulses. Put 5V across it and the motor will turn in one direction; remove the 5V input and the motor will turn in the other direction. The motor will only turn when pulses are applied to the "step" (or "pul") input. The motor will move one step per pulse, and its direction depends on the "dir" input as described. A standard stepper motor will have 200 steps per revolution so each pulse moves the motor spindle by 1.8 degrees.

You need an MPG that provides a "pulse" output, that is, one pulse per click of the wheel. I'm not sure what the Tosoku MPG output is, but I have seen one reference to "A,B quadrature" output. That suggests to me that the MPG gives a series of pulses on two outputs which are 90deg out of phase. This means that whatever is using the pulses can not only see a pulse train (one step per pulse) but can also work out the direction. Unfortunately, the stepper driver cannot use these signals directly. What you can do, I think, is just connect the A output from the MPG to the Step input on the driver, connect 5V via a switch to the Direction input, and see if that works. The stepper motor will turn in the direction set by the Dir input and will move one step per click of the wheel, but it will not make any difference which way you turn the wheel. Without more information on the MPG outputs, I cannot really say much more than this.

That's the basics. If you can get this working, you will have more-or-less what you wanted. The MPG appears to have a "x1/x10x100" switch, which I guess configures it to deliver one/ten/hundred pulses per click of the wheel, which is also what you want. You can also use the DIP switches on the driver to tell it to use "microsteps" - that is, instead of the 200 steps per rev of a standard motor, these use some clever electronic techniques to simulate more steps per rev. Typically, people use stepper motors with x8 microstepping giving the equivalent of 1600 steps/rev.

With a bit of work, I'm sure that you could put some simple logic circuitry together to take the A and B quadrature outputs from the MPG and turn them into step/dir signals for the stepper, but that's a bit too complicated for me at this time of the morning!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    With a bit of work, I'm sure that you could put some simple logic circuitry together to take the A and B quadrature outputs from the MPG and turn them into step/dir signals for the stepper, but that's a bit too complicated for me at this time of the morning!
    The quadrature outputs *should* suit a direct coupling with the stepper driver, connect either A/B to Step, and the other to Dir - you use one of the two quad outputs as a clock and, depending on direction of travel, the alternate phase will either be 0 or 1 (and so provide the direction control).

OP suck it and see - just check the outputs from the MPG - sling a meter on and confirm that for each detent moved, each output changes from 0 to 5 volts (the first one that I had used an open collector drive - and so has to be used with the negative-side switching). All signal levels from the MPG will be low current, low voltage, and the input to the stepper driver will be via a current-limited opt-isolator designed to run off 5v signalling. There's not a lot to go wrong if you know one end of a bit of wire from the next.

All this will give you is an ability to rotate a stepper in response to the rotation of the MPG wheel. That's going to get awfully boring to use on a mill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information