. .

Thread: USB Emulator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I have a DDCSV controller that reads g-Code off of a USB stick. There is no editin available on this controller so I have to remove the USB stick, plug it into a PC, open the drive, edit the file, save it and eject the USb. Then walk over to the mill and plug in the stick!

Now correct me if I am wrong but this is the 21st century so what I need is a USB emulator.

The controller is connected to the computer by a suitably sexed cable. A piece of software (aka Emulator) then creates a virtual USB between the PC and the Controller. Edit the file on the PC and load it into the controller. There may need to be a bit of extra hardware in the middle of the cables!

Simple requirement but does it exist.

Googling USB Emulastor pulls up thousand of floppy drive emulators that replace a floppy drive in a controller or machine and accept a USB stick as the data medias.

Cheers

Will

What you need to ask yourself is how big is the market for the device you want ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

What about using one of those wireless SD cards?
    They are pretty cheap and would allow you to send Gocde over the air to your machine.
    Should work as a SD to USB adapter just acts as a USB drive.

I've got an EyeFi wireless SD card but it only came with "Upload" functionality to move files from the card to another network location, does someone do an SD card with wireless capability that allows transfer of files to the card from a PC?
    Surely everyone would be using one in their 3D printer?

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...40015-pdt.html

Is this the sort of thing you want ?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...40015-pdt.html

Is this the sort of thing you want ?
    That looks spot on, well spotted!

I was also researching the same sort of thing but in the format of an SD card. My 3D printer is supposed to run with a serial (USB) link, but I can't get the port driver working. I have to load up the .x3g file on an SD card to run the print. It would be an advantage to load the file using WiFi. They are available, but around £30 even from China. a micro SD wireless adapter at £15 seems a better solution for me (I'm only a poor old pensioner guv!).

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,
    I can't find any SD cards where transfer to the card is mentioned in the description of functionality, have you found one that does?

None of the cards mention specifically loading to the card memory with WiFi. These are two I have been looking at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-SDH....c100005.m1851 this is cheaper and to be honest , it is my choice for experimentation. The Toshiba FlashAir ought to have more documentation, but I have yet to find it.

It seems that the FlashAir acts as a Wireless Hotspot, so you have to connect your wifi to it. this puts me off as I already have a WFS210 oscilloscope, which acts on the same principle and it a capricious bugger to connect to my Win7 PC or my Win10 tablet and I have yet to get any success connecting to my Win10 PC.

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by cropwell; 21-02-2018 at 12:29 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information