. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I'm not going to disagree with Jazz (it ain't worth the effort, anyway ) and I would build any day of the week. You might spend 50% more than one of the Chinese machines,
    Good Man you know it makes sense. . .Lol

Ok lets look at this another way and look at the 50% more.? Lets say chinese machine costs £900 and Building costs £1500 which is very realistic figure for finished machine. £600 difference.
    Now lets go 18mths down the road to the point when decide you'd like larger machine.! . . . Lets sell Both.!!

Ermmmm what to charge for used Chinese machine that can be bought for £900.? Ok lets be positive and go for 60% of new £540 = Loss of £360
    So what do we sell Home built machine for that is good Strong bespoke design which uses decent components.?
    Ok Lets offer it cheap for quick sale so £2000 = £500 profit

Which do you think will sell first.?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Which do you think will sell first.?
    Bad example. 80% of the people will probably go for the cheaper, "professionally built" machine rather than the home-grown. Human nature.

The 20% who have an inkling of what they really want or need - I agree, would jump on the home-built, strong machine. God knows I've been looking long enough for a decent one to turn up on eBay. For now, back to F360 and steel suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Bad example. 80% of the people will probably go for the cheaper, "professionally built" machine rather than the home-grown. Human nature.
    Not my experience dealing with plenty people who have DIY built and sold.
    Like your self, there are plenty of people who have done their research and know what to avoid but don't have the means to build but can see good machine when appears. They just don't have the funds to buy better professionally built machines which for obvious reasons cost much more money.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 24-02-2018 at 12:36 PM.

A big thank you for those very helpful responses. My question was very timely because I was able to cancel the order for the C-Beam machine without penalty. Clearly i need to start thinking seriously about a scratch build. To be honest I was slightly intimidated by the idea, having no engineering background whatsoever, but that's also why I joined this forum.
    I had at one time been looking at a Stepcraft v2 420. Most recently a 1000x1000 xcarve machine has become available locally. Am I right in thinking that these too won't come up to scratch in your opinions?
    I found your costings very helpful Jazz as costs are always (for most of us old farts anyway) a limiting factor. I must admit I think £1200 for a finished, quality machine is pretty good. I will definitely take you up on your offer of advice and guidance. I ope I don't try your patience too much.
    Thanks again to all.

Good result! Hope you have a good sense of humour to survive here, but take it all in good part and there's going to be plenty of advice and help.

Quote Originally Posted by jimchelt View Post
    Most recently a 1000x1000 xcarve machine has become available locally. Am I right in thinking that these too won't come up to scratch in your opinions?
    Correct much the same basically would be frying pan into the fire. The building isn't difficult even with no engineering experience provided don't rush and have little patience.
    I'll PM you my number then can give me ring when suits you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information