. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Sheffield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16-02-2019 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 50. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Hi all,

I've owned a Chinese 6040 for a while and it's had a lot of hammer. I did want a new machine making, but given my health and hobby needs, as well as a lack of money, I've given up on that idea for now. That aside, because my machine has had a lot of hammer, things are starting to fall to bits. The black-box that has an offline SMC4 controller fitted is starting to fail: the pump switch is broke, the SMC4 doesn't always read the SD card, and the fan on the power supply has stopped working. Obviously, I could just replace the parts, but I figured I'd have a go at building a new box using a DDCSV1.1. I also need to free some bench space in my shed; so building a wall mounted box should help.

Anyways, after seeking a little advice from Clive and Boyan, I've ordered most of the parts I need and started the build. Admittedly, I have little knowledge when it comes to building stuff like this and, because I don't want to be building a toaster, I figured I'd make this thread for the extra help.

I'm making the main box for the power supplies and steppers, and a separate box for the controller, out of aluminium. Had a few sheets of 500x300x1.5mm so figured I'd make use of that.

I've cut a little alu before on my CNC with next to no problems. But this stuff was a pain in the ass. At one point I was getting some nice little chips, next minute I was getting a lot of chatter and a terrible finish. Still, ain't bothered how it looks as long as it all fits together.

Fitted a toroidal transformer to give me 36v for the drivers and a 24v supply to power the DDCSV, fan, and pump for the spindle. Both fan and pump will be stepped down to 12v.

Here's a pic so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0087.JPG 
Views:	976 
Size:	284.7 KB 
ID:	23800

I've still to add an earth star-point, but I've temporally wired the DDCSV and steppers and they all power up fine. The steppers I'm using are just some cheap 2DM542-N. I could have gone Leadshine, but with this being my first attempt I didn't want to be destroying expensive drivers. Besides, can always modify things later.

The above is about as far as I've got. Still waiting for a 37pin D-sub cable to arrive and 4 Core CY cable. I also need to buy a new 1.5k VFD for the spindle. The D-Sub will be used to connect to the box containing the DDCSV, E-stop and rotary controller.

Greatly appreciate any help with setting the drivers for my Nema 23 type-57 3 amp, and wiring the drivers, DDCSV and, later, limit switches.

Cheers
    Sean
    Bought a Chinese 6040...if only I'd known better :(

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rye For This Useful Post:

Lives in Sheffield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16-02-2019 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 50. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    My CY cable has arrived so I've wired the x,y,z to the drivers:

Name:	DSC_0090.JPG 
Views:	414 
Size:	283.0 KB 
ID:	23810

Name:	DSC_0091.JPG 
Views:	487 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	23811

I've left the shielding on each cable because I'm unsure about the following: Should the shielding on the A+A-/B+B- side of the drives for the motors go to the drives DC ground - or should they go to the AC earth star-point? Asking because I've seen images where people wire their shielding here to the DC ground on their drives. But I've also read that all shielded cables should go to AC earth star-point - and not DC ground.
    Last edited by Rye; 23-02-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    I've left the shielding on each cable because I'm unsure about the following: Should the shielding on the A+A-/B+B- side of the drives for the motors go to the drives DC ground - or should they go to the AC earth star-point? Asking because I've seen images where people wire their shielding here to the DC ground on their drives. But I've also read that all shielded cables should go to AC earth star-point - and not DC ground.
    All grounds should go back to AC Star earth point.

Cheers Jazz. Earths to the shielding added:

Name:	DSC_0093.JPG 
Views:	459 
Size:	306.1 KB 
ID:	23812

Have to get my head around wiring the other side of the drives now:

PLS+
    PLS -
    DIR+
    DIR -

Knocked a temporary cable up with a jumper from DIR+ to PLS +

Name:	DSC_0095.JPG 
Views:	441 
Size:	303.6 KB 
ID:	23813

Name:	DSC_0094.JPG 
Views:	379 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	23814

Can the DIR+ be daisy chained to each drive's DIR+?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Can the DIR+ be daisy chained to each drive's DIR+?
    Of course.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks Clive. I think I've done it right. Well, I hope I have :)

Name:	DSC_0099.JPG 
Views:	373 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	23817

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Moy Bien
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Too cold to be in the shed cutting aluminium for the rest of the box, so I've made a start wiring the steppers on the DDCS:

Name:	DSC_0100.JPG 
Views:	553 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	23834

Couldn't be bothered with soldering, so got me two 37pin D-Sub breakout boards: one for the main box, one for the DDCS box(when I get around to making it). Takes up more room, but easier than soldering 37 pins :)

Name:	DSC_0101.JPG 
Views:	403 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	23835

Found a little time to continue with this. The main box is pretty much done. Admittedly, it's all a bit tatty and meccano..ish, but it'll do for the shed wall. All powers up fine, just need to tidy the wiring before I wire the D-Sub for the limit switches.

Name:	DSC_0114.JPG 
Views:	635 
Size:	339.2 KB 
ID:	23900

Name:	DSC_0116.JPG 
Views:	395 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	23901

Still need to make the box for the DDCS. The DDCS powers up, but have to wire the MPG/switches. estop, pump-switch and possibly one or two other things. Going to try wiring up first to see if it all works.
    Dang! Where do I start :(

Name:	DSC_0117.JPG 
Views:	521 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	23902

Might need some help wiring the 5 position rotary switches for X,Y,Z and 1x, 10x, 100x on the MPG control.
    Last edited by Rye; 12-03-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Had a slight change of plans on the design for some of this, but the wiring and everything is coming together quite nicely.

Name:	DSC_0130.JPG 
Views:	630 
Size:	335.0 KB 
ID:	23984

Name:	DSC_0126.JPG 
Views:	459 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	23985
    Last edited by Rye; 25-03-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information