. .
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Malcolm is this all made from the aluminium profile stuff? I would love to hear a run down on the processes you went through to get to this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by HullMark View Post
    Malcolm is this all made from the aluminium profile stuff? I would love to hear a run down on the processes you went through to get to this stage.
    l

Like you I was trying to build this cheaply and myself, made the mistake of building a torsion box as a base. It still sagged no matter how sturdy I thought it was. Then I just followed my instincts and built it. I used aluminium where I could, I’ve stuck in a few pictures, the gable ends of the gantry I had made from a local engineering firm, they cost a fortune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to malcolm01 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm01 View Post
    I wonder how I’d go about fixing the other end. It has a floating bearing, it’s only held on by a sirclip, other end is designed to be fixed
    Hi Malcolm, As you have probably gathered by now the Ends will need machining to fit the Fixed type bearing. However, this alone won't make a massive difference it's the screw speed that is Key.

I've seen parts available on a uk website CNC4YOU ... seems to be a lot cheaper than I've been advised here for screws and bearings. Anyone used these guys before?
    You will buy the same stuff from China a lot cheaper than he sells them.! . . .Where do you think he buys them.?
    China at the minute is on Holiday but when you have the design nailed down and know lengths etc then Email Fred here for a quote.
    https://bstmotion.aliexpress.com/store/314742

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Guys how will I upload some pictures?

The app has a wee photo symbol, click on it

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm01 View Post
    The app has a wee photo symbol, click on it

Like so

Start post Click on this icon in pic. Then on "From Computer Tab" Then "Browse" select pic then click on "Upload files" writing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pics.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	23861

Thanks chaps, I've tried it that way. Don't know if it's because I'm on my phone maybe? I've downloaded the tapatalk app now anyway so I'll try with this a bit later when I get home. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Let's see if it works on this app. I just took some photos of the screen. I keep changing my mind about the lay out as I'm learning a few things from drawing. After all, my first drawings where based on scratch building.

I started out with the linear bearings actually on top of the aluminium profile (not shown in pics) but I was worried about the lateral forces when the gantry was in the middle of the x axis cutting along the y, what do you think? It's 90 x 45mm heavy profile. Looks like it would be pretty strong in the corners.

It seems using the aluminium profile for some parts makes getting everything square easier. That's why I was going with a separate structure for the base, but I seem to have gone a bit ott with the aluminium now.

After seeing the other picture though I've attached, this was another idea I had, although the one pictured looks a little weedy (I think?), I think maybe it could be beefed up a bit (lot). Pretty much by combing both designs

I've settled for less y axis travel, I want to be able to do 3d stuff on this machine too, do we think it's possible? It's down to the software I guess? Obviously they won't be coming from my drawings haha I'll be using a CAM program to import someone else's.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you was building a plasma machine I'd say that's perfect. But if you want a serious router then it needs lot more work.

The Bottom Pic looks very much like Merchant Dice machine and just ask anyone about how well MD machine performs..

Your gantry design is week and far too weedy for decent router this size.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information