. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Which confuses me as my digital readout on the lathe is X and Y. There again, the lathe functions perfectly well without a Z axis (do I hear a violin plaintively playing 'Hearts and Flowers'?)
    That just means it's a generic 2 Axis readout that is not specifically made for a lathe and is thus incorrectly labelled for lathe use.
    If it were a Lathe Specific model it would have lathe specific functions including Diameter and Radius display of X and a table of offsets for tools/holders, like this one-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRO & VFD.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	24007

That's my 0.75Kw, 20 year old Siemens Micromaster Vector on the left BTW ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by MRob View Post
    Physically the tool change will be like a horizontal tool turret, with say only 3 or 4 actual tools on it (e.g. rough, final cut, and parting), but with the ability to lock at other angles. If done like a proper tool turret I could have e.g. 30 degree increments, but I could probably just make a rotary table with a brake on it and a geared stepper, should work - so long as it is rigid enough, and I'm pretty sure I can figure that out.
    I'd research lathe tool turrets some more, there's a reason all the commercial ones don't work like that, if you need to centre drill, pilot drill and finish drill your bore then ream it how will you do that and face the end and put a shoulder on the OD and part off?
    And that's a pretty simple part! Try to avoid designing something that is NBG as soon as it's finished.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    That just means it's a generic 2 Axis readout
    Yes I know, really it doesn't matter what letters you label an axis with, you could also call them Red, Green and Blue. I was just in a frivolous mood. I have the SINO SDS6 2V readout, it just seems to have more functions I have no clue how to use :(....... [sad old bugger dribbling].

Rob

Lives in Eastbourne, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-06-2018 Has been a member for 3-4 years. Has a total post count of 9.
    A simple part for metal machining perhaps :). But I am turning wood, I really dont need all those functions! Here's a vid that is pretty close to what I want:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB5fMNte844
    I guess the reason people do vertical tool turrets is to fit more tools in there, but if I am OK limiting myself to 3 or 4 its not really an issue. And I get to change the angle of approach for the tools, which is pretty important for me.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    That just means it's a generic 2 Axis readout that is not specifically made for a lathe and is thus incorrectly labelled for lathe use.
    If it were a Lathe Specific model it would have lathe specific functions including Diameter and Radius display of X and a table of offsets for tools/holders, like this one-
    I've just replaced a fairly ancient Anilam display on my lathe with a new Easson display, as well as swapping the old glass scales for new magnetic scales. The Easson display is switchable, lathe/mill. I was a little surprised when I set it to "lathe" mode and the 3-axis display became X and Y, as I was expecting X and Z. No big deal, just not the usual convention. It does have selectable Dia/Rad on the correct axis, and also has a tool offset table (although I'm not sure of the resetting accuracy of my quick-change toolpost).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information