. .

Thread: Power Supply

Hello All,

I have recently moved in to my new house and have been wanting to build a cnc for the last few years but never had the room.
    So now I have the room it is time to build one, now my question is how much power do I need to supply it as I am hearing mixed answers.

My electrician has told me that he will be able to supply me 32amps to my shed fine at a cost but he also said if i wanted only 16amps to the shed it would be a fraction of the cost.

My Build will be.

Huanyang Chinese VFD, 2.2kw spindle
    Water pump
    3 axis stepper motors NEMA 23 which will be upgraded at a later date 5 axis
    then the computer to run it.

Also is there anything that has to be added to the power to the VFD to prevent noise, tell me if i am wrong but i read up on something the other day but was partly asleep.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Go for the 32A option.
    By the time you factor in the machine, which will be about 10A (might peak a bit higher if you really push things), computer, lights, and dust extraction, you'll be pushing the limits of 16A.

VFDs do cause noise, but it's generally not a problem. If it is, then filters can be fitted.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Ricky
    Welcome to the forum. First before you buy anything run it through the forum as that will save you a lot of heart ache
    and don't buy anything until you know what you want.

Regarding the power at a minimum just one 13A socket will generally power a general diy router or mill. But in a shed you will need to factor in say a heater and some lights. a 32A supply should not be much more than a 16 amp supply you will need a small consumer unit in the shed so that it can be fused down to 6A for the lights and a small ring main with a 32A fuse for the sockets. How far away will the shed be place for the main fuse board in the house?
    Last edited by Clive S; 24-03-2018 at 11:42 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks, Clive yeah I don't plan on buying anything as of yet, think I might start a new thread to consolidate all my question into one as I have a fair few.
    Yes I read id get away with a single 13a plug but to be on the safe side go for a high rating, the distance from the main fuse board to the CNC is roughly 70m ill be leaving this to the brother in law as he's the electrician, he told me about the voltage drop over distance and thinks that I should get away with 6mm˛ cable with master fuse in the main box and the fuse box in the shed with ring main on.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Burton View Post
    Thanks, Clive yeah I don't plan on buying anything as of yet, think I might start a new thread to consolidate all my question into one as I have a fair few.
    Yes I read id get away with a single 13a plug but to be on the safe side go for a high rating, the distance from the main fuse board to the CNC is roughly 70m.
    Yes a 3 core wire armoured cable would do the trick you could bury that in the ground. How about putting a cat5 cable in with it you can run up to about 100 Mtr without a switch (booster) or put a wifi link across you can easily get 1000 mtr with simple stuff line of sight. Good idea to start a build blog to keep all the question together. Good luck with the build.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thread Information