. .
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thank you.

Doesn't using Centroid tie you to using a Windows 10 PC?
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Doesn't using Centroid tie you to using a Windows 10 PC?
    Probably but I’m ok with that.

It should be fine if you vet updates before applying them, it's still "Bleeding Edge" for systems you require to have guaranteed up time, if your CNC PC doesn't connect to the Internet and is only used for running the machine there should be no issues at all.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

On a budget
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-4-Axi...EAAOSwQ7hauLAl
    No import tax (For EU at least) with MPG wheel or just search ebay for 500khz cnc for direct from china without the wheel. (~£130, take the risk)

You could do a lot worse there's a thread on here about them, many happy users on here and plenty of people to help you get started.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10187...ion-controller

Not sure how import tax works in Algeria it might be cheaper to import from China or EU you have to check this yourself.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 02-04-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jtar40 View Post
    Alright so I've gotten a lot of input and I realized the common denominator is that it really depends on what software you're starting with, and what your budget is set at.
    So I got some great input on Linux cnc although I read up on it that you need a Real Time Operating System, (I don't really have a great understanding on that, if someone could help a brother out). I also see Mach3 and 4 are very common yet unreliable (I'm not totally sure why it isn't reliable but can someone explain or direct me to where I can find out)
    I've also got solid recommendations about UCCNC using the UC400ETH controller

So what would you guys recommend, or why would you guys not recommend another software.

By the way, up till now I was thinking of purchasing the Ethernet smooth stepper with Mach 3/4, or the UC400 with UCCNC.

Summary- what cnc software would you recommend for someone building a simple 3 axis cnc
    - sorry again if I left anything out, let me know.
    I am using UC300ETH and UCCNC. It works just as well with Mach3 but I like UCCNC more. I would definitely recommand either UC400ETH or UC300ETH. If you don't need more inputs than what is available on the UC400ETH and you have no need for extra ain/aout then the UC400ETH is an excellent choice. You don't NEED to get the UCCNC software, but at that price it is definitely worth to try. You can also just download the software without license, it will in that case run in demo mode, which includes everything except motion commands. That way you can try it out and see if you like it or not, but it isn't very expensive, so it is worth to get a license because that would definitely show the advantages of it over Mach3, which is considerably more expensive than UCCNC. Also, UCCNC is actively maintained and developed, Mach3 is dead.

If you want new drivers, I'd advice you to get DQ542MA drivers. Those are very good and reliable. You can buy the drivers from some eBay seller and will not pay any tax if you select delivery from Germany or UK or other EU countries. UCCNC and the UCx00ETH motion controllers can be bought directly form Hungary, so it is also from EU.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    If you want new drivers, I'd advice you to get DQ542MA drivers. Those are very good and reliable. You can buy the drivers from some eBay seller and will not pay any tax if you select delivery from Germany or UK or other EU countries. UCCNC and the UCx00ETH motion controllers can be bought directly form Hungary, so it is also from EU.
    That would be bad advise.! The DQ542MA are Analog drives which is old technology. Yes they may work ok for you or others but that doesn't make them good drives to buy. There is no reason to use Analog drives these days because Digital drives are so cheap and the performance difference is very noticable.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    That would be bad advise.! The DQ542MA are Analog drives which is old technology. Yes they may work ok for you or others but that doesn't make them good drives to buy. There is no reason to use Analog drives these days because Digital drives are so cheap and the performance difference is very noticable.
    By any chance is there a specific digital driver you may recommend? I just see so many options it's quite hard to know what may be reliable.

(-I'm not sure if I mentioned it before but if it's relevant, I have 3 nema 23 stepper motors running off 3 amps and I was thinking of getting a uc300eth as the interface, I didn't really put much thought into the breakout board yet because I've been told it can be quite general for the simple 3axis cnc router machine I'm looking for making.)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jtar40 View Post
    By any chance is there a specific digital driver you may recommend? I just see so many options it's quite hard to know what may be reliable.

(-I'm not sure if I mentioned it before but if it's relevant, I have 3 nema 23 stepper motors running off 3 amps and I was thinking of getting a uc300eth as the interface, I didn't really put much thought into the breakout board yet because I've been told it can be quite general for the simple 3axis cnc router machine I'm looking for making.)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    You can't go wrong with AM882's
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leadshine...n/282651392228

Or EM806 (Which seem functionally identical to AM882)
    https://www.zappautomation.co.uk/ele...ion/em806.html

I have AM882's very happy with them.

I think you're better off spending the money on decent digital drivers and a cheap BOB than cheap drivers but expensive controller. It's cheaper to upgrade the BOB than the drivers and gets you working ASAP.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 04-04-2018 at 07:31 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Are you kidding? The OP replaces TB6560 drivers and talks about Arduino...

The DQ542MA may be old analogue technology but it is well working, reliable, runs cold, fast and quiet as well as cheap, and for most amateurs/hobby users, that is more important than fancy modern digital drivers. Maybe one day I will get some digital drivers just for the fun of it, but to be honest, I really don't believe it would show any difference in my case. My machine is as fast as it can get and is much better than most other stepper based machines with direct driven ball screws can do, so I really don't know where digital drives could make a difference. Just because something is "digital" it isn't automatically better...

Also, I am sure you know this, but how well your drivers perform also depends on the motion controller. There is no benefit of faster and more modern drivers if you are limited by the mechanical and electrical design of the CNC.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information