. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Yes I edited out the word "knife"
    We all knew what I was talking about in my n00bish gibberish

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but it's 2022 and the links are mostly dead. dragengraving.com still functions but after emailing the contact address and getting no response I'm a little reluctant to order from them for fear of throwing money down a black hole. Any more recent suggestions?

Well as would luck would have it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143161401121

Send him a message as he doesn't have any listed at the mo, his are known to be good, he has options for both Diamond PCD and another type he prefers (cant remember what it was called now) that are much harder tips...

or make your own holder/spring and order the Diamond insert tips only :), the eBay link above will show you other sellers selling they same sort of thing as well...

:)
    .Me

Info from his listing:

DESCRIPTION

SPRING LOADED ENGRAVING TOOL BIT HOLDER INCLUDING

DIAMOND PCD DRAG ENGRAVING BIT AND 2 CUSTOM SPRINGS

PLEASE READ COMPLETE DESCRIPTION BEFORE PURCHASE - YOU WILL FIND IT VERY HELPFUL

This is my brand new Mai 2019 updated spring loaded drag engraving tool. It can be used on any engraving machine that has a standard 1/4 inch collet. I offered this tool first on 22th Mai 2019 because prior that date I did not find material hard enough and design that I can successfully finish that would withstand axial forces once drag engraving.

WHY did I manufacture 7mm tools in the past? During my cooperation with Rogaska Crystal, Fiskars and MontBlanc we tested MANY, MANY, MANY engraving tools I made specially for them and made about 50 modifications on spring engraver and finally we came to conclusion that 7mm diameter is smallest possible diameter to handle all forces during metal engraving process. Standard 1/4 inch dia tool would be fine, but is just made on the limit.

How come that now 6mm diameter is enough? I found the way how I can make my tool from 440B type Martensitic Stainless Steel. This is same material that is used to manufacture cutting tools and dies. Now I can make all sizes larger than 6mm diameter without any limitation. If you are looking for smallest 6mm tool, please click here and find my 6mm drag engraving MSS tool.

1/4 inch ENGRAVING TOOL COMES WITH 2 SPRINGS

1 for soft material engraving (like gold, copper, etc.) and

1 spring for hard material engraving (steel, SS HRC,...)

and

1PC POLYCHRISTALINE CARBIDE PCD 1/8¨ 60 DEGREE ENGRAVING TIP

If you are engraving different materials thats the right bit for you.
    Do not be fooled with diamond engraving bits, these are only for special purposes and if you run them within different materials you will break them really fast. Also results on most materials are same or worse than with PCD bits. Before you purchase I advice you to ALWAYS educate yourself as knowledge is key to good results!

"First and foremost, think of PCD as the marathon runner, as it will yield the best results in continuous and steady cutting of homogeneous materials. Diamond tooling is not advisable as an all-round tool that will be required to meet demands of a wide range of cutting applications on a day to day basis. So, if you are engraving different materials and want one tool to do it all, the diamond tool will not be able to excel as well as it will if you are engraving, for instance, 3/4″ MDF all day long." - review by professional tool manufacturer Guhdo tools

BE SMART, do not purchase cheapest or most expensive engraving bits available as they are not made for everybody - you can have problems because low quality bits dia are not exactly 3.175mm (1/8 inch), but you will overpay for real diamond bits and have same results as with PCD! Do I even have to say that using real diamond bits to engrave other than Ceramics, Glass or Crystal is just crazy. The toughness of diamond is about 2.0 MPa which is good compared to other gemstones, but poor compared to most engineering materials like PCD. So if I take a hammer and hit a hammer hard, yeah diamond gonna break.

If you use my engraving tool with original PCD engraving tips, you will get engraving tolerance 0,01mm on all materials!

I do sell spare PCD diamond engraving tips for only 9,95$.

WHAT TO EXPECT: With my engraving tool you will be able to do very detailed engravings on uneven surfaces and the engraving remains even. The holder's small size offers "many great advantages" over other "larger" and/or "longer" spring loaded holders that need to extend far beyond the spindle nose resulting in "excessive tool tip run out". The small size of my engraving tool holders makes these the most versatile engraving tools available… BUT they are VERY hard to manufacture due to small parts and needed accuracy!

SPECIFICATION: The tool has a precision ground 1/4 inch dia Martensitic stainless steel body compatible with any 1/8" (3.175mm) engraving bit. The overall length is approx. 2" (50mm) & there is up to 1/4" (7mm) travel.

ENGRAVING ADJUSTMENTS (FORCE): engraving tool has a linear adjustable engraving force using an M5 screw. Tests were made engraving on the aluminum glass, steel, silver and gold but the engraving tool can also be used with many other materials.

TO EXPECT: With my engraving tool you will be able to do very detailed engravings on uneven surfaces and the engraving remains even. The holder's small size offers "many great advantages" over other "larger" and/or "longer" spring loaded holders that need to extend far beyond the spindle nose resulting in "excessive tool tip run out". The small size of my engraving tool holders makes these the most versatile engraving tools available… BUT they are VERY hard to manufacture due to small parts and needed accuracy!

UPGRADE: Due to questions if you can use my tool for gold engraving, silver and other materials, I did upgrade this tool with two customs springs. One that will cause smaller engraving force and other larger engraving force. That way you can engrave all materials from extra soft like gold, up to stainless steel HRC.

WHATS INCLUDED

1pc spring engraver tool,

1pc 60° Polycarbide Diamond PCD Engraving Tip,

2 custom springs that make tool possible to engrave all materials

Tools are made in my own machine shop & each one is assembled, inspected and tested before packaging.

Each tool comes with 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!

I do accept also custom orders (contact me).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220928-012914_eBay~2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	31279  
    .Me

Thanks Lee - been following up your suggestions although haven't succeeded yet. There are some that have appeared on eBay for about £35 so I might just take a punt on one of those to get me started.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Info from his listing:

This is my solution:

It is a separate 3D printed tool holder, and in my case it takes any sort of tip up to 6mm shaft diameter. It works very well on any surface, including steel plates.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A_Camera For This Useful Post:

Really nice job @A_Camera, I am just watching this now...

Also following your lathe build with interest, you should update your signature with links to your build logs so others see them/find them :)
    .Me

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information