. .
    Hi all,

New to the forum but eager to get started and hopefully to contribute. I am a time served machine tool engineer and laterly CAD operator. As a hobbyist I am considering one of these relatively cheap Chinese machines, possibly the 3020 or 3040. I don’t intend doing anything heavy but would be interested to hear opinions on these machines. I have read that the electrics can be a bit suspect and this is a little worrying. If I do go ahead they appear to be distributed from a warehouse in Germany, does anyone know if there would be any customs duty or additional costing on import of one of these.

Regards....

Mach1

Lives in Sheffield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16-02-2019 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 50. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    I wouldn't go with a 3040. I've a 6040 and, while I've had a lot of fun with the machine, I'm finding it way too small. The wiring on mine, despite its lack of shielding, was quite well done - although I had a loose wire that caused a problem when I first got the machine. Had a few mechanical problems with the machine - but I put that down to general wear and tear after a few years of hammer. Overall though, the CNC has performed pretty good and, having paid for itself, I could consider it good value for money. Having said that, if I knew I could have got a much better machine built for a few hundred quid more than what I paid, I'd have waited and got one of the guys on this forum to build me one. Would have been much better in the long run.

Mine shipped from China to Germany, then to the UK. Didn't have to pay duties because it went through Europe.

Thanks for that Rye, so my next question would be: how do these compare with the self build kits from Ooznest. Namely the C-Beam, I know they cost more but is it a case of getting what you pay for. Does anyone have any experience of this machine.

My other option would be to convert my Chester vertical mill but I haven’t a clue what motors to use or how to eliminate the backlash from it. If I could do this it would be great as I could mill much heavier materials. Has anyone converted one of these mills ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    My other option would be to convert my Chester vertical mill but I haven’t a clue what motors to use or how to eliminate the backlash from it. If I could do this it would be great as I could mill much heavier materials. Has anyone converted one of these mills ?
    yup, not very well I must admit but it was a learning exercise

https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Thread Information